What on earth is going on with the Flowerhorn and my tank? At a loss!

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
I don't think there is a large single softwater fish that I know of to be honest..I don't want a community tank thats for sure. Something more personable.

Not much change today, slightly more active than yesterday. Not eating again. Sometimes casually floats against the bottom corner or up in the corners. Floats around the heaters too, but water temp is consistent 30 celcius all over the tank. Did catch him resting on the sand earlier and sort of shaking his booty against it. Then put some sand in his mouth then spat it out, probably just re-arranging the sand. Does swim about still so it's not just a constant sitting or floating around.

Water parameters still okay, apart from the GH which I am going to raise tomorrow. Lost some of his pearl too as you can see in the pics above. Poor guy.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
A little bit more active today and back to eating. No improvement on the blemishes or anything else and did notice some brown poop with white around it.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
The best way I can describe it is close up it looks like sunburn peeling. Like a human would have. Probably my best description of it.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
I may have sussed it!

Just went out for a couple hours, took the lid of the tank and opened the window a bit to circulate some fresh air. I come back and his fins are no longer clamped and he seems less lethargic! Either that or the crushed coral I put in today is making a difference. Tiny bit of progress but its progress never the less.

Meeji90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hello folks, a little update on Jeff.

Basically I left him alone apart from feeding time. Last water change before today was last week. He is much more active, including biting me and trying to take a chunk of my finger during todays water change. He is eating more than ever, like he should be! So on that front, all seems good, now accepting almost any food too. I've never seen a fish with such an appetite. His poop is normal too. I added crushed coral after the water change last week, and the parameters have been stable since, including the gh and kh.

The only issue is with his color/scales. He has lost the majority of his pearl apart from a little on his kok and at his back end. His red looks awesome though especially near the front. It also looks like his hump has grew a little bit. The peeling/sunburn looking thing seems to have gone apart from at the base of his fins which looks like where it has stopped expanding. He does have a white patch on his tail. Not cotton like or anything just looks like a small patch changed colour. So I am still confused by this.

Overall, progress has been made and he seems alot more happier.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store