what sparked your poly love?!

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
just like the title reads;

I've always loved fossils and I was voted most likely to become a paleontologist in grade school end-of-school awards thing. Then when I got into aquatic snakes, the bichir caught my eye for its snake like appearance. Upon further research I realized they are the 'living fossils" many scientists claimed them to be, with upon founding were thought to be the missing link between amphibians and fish (egypt, shortly after the brit invasion, I believe cuvier said that).

If a scientist says "If it were only for the discovery of this fish, the invasion of Egypt was worth it" (I believe that may have been cuvier also) you know that's pretty serious.

From their almost gator/croc demeanour, their air breathing organs, their ability to survive (just like gators), and the ability to be out of water are all unique attributes I love about the Polys. Literally a saurian fish, in our houses. being taken care of by us. I literally found my favorite pet (not even just fish) when I got my first senegal. Ill always have a bittersweet love for my ornate (whose name is morgoth because he's evil) for eating my senegal. damn aquascape and inaccurate measurements.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
I got into polys just recently. 2 weeks ago roughly. And i got into them, because of their looks, and because I love the way they swim. :)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: Jafar P Arab

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Im a newbie to poly's with my first two purchased a week ago. I have been into cichlids for years but it never occurred to me to ever own a bichir.

They remind me of Mr. Hankey from South Park, you can clearly see the resemblance.
christmasmrhankey.jpg

So my first two are a del and a sen. I liked them so much I just ordered a albino sen and a gold dust. They should be in next week.

christmasmrhankey.jpg

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
Im a newbie to poly's with my first two purchased a week ago. I have been into cichlids for years but it never occurred to me to ever own a bichir.

They remind me of Mr. Hankey from South Park, you can clearly see the resemblance.
View attachment 937251

So my first two are a del and a sen. I liked them so much I just ordered a albino sen and a gold dust. They should be in next week.
Looool never occurred to me, haven't watched SP in years haha your making me want to though.

Its kind of the opposite with me because I was a snake keeper before fish, my Senegal was my first fish in years other then the lil lame community tank I had when I was a kid. And I just recently got kind of a cichlid, well cichla, a temensis peacock bass, never thought of getting one before but I love the behaviour of them. He is growing out in a friends tank now.

That's also a really cool combo of bichir, I've thought about getting albino but I've never seen large ones for sale. I'm going to be getting a gold dust once JA gets their big ones in. I'm going for as follows

Already have the Ornate these are the rest I would like to get

-lapreidi dabola
-gold dust
-palmas polli
-teuglsi
-WC senegal
-weeksi

Obviously not all of them at least not all at once, would require one hell of a tank for that lol I wanna pick 2 more of these to have until they die or I want to sell them, which I'm not a fan of selling my pets I feel so badly taking money for a living animal that was my own haha. Especially these beauties

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Poly-Deathroll once you saw this one you'll never be amazed by other fish again. :thumbsup: (warning you should have no sharp decor or anything that your fish bump to cause this may cause accidents) I've had my senegal done it.

Tips how to: Fillet a fresh meat of tilapia, make sure it's much big (means not a snackable size preferably 3-4x the size of the head) then feed it, then observe. :woot:

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
What sparked mine was when i walked into an LFS (the owner and i had grown to be friends) and he had these cool eel like things. So i asked "how big do these get and can they fit in my 20g?" he said "oh they get to about 18 inches, and if you do your water changes each week then yeah they'll fit" lol so i went off of that info for about a year, then i started researching and i was like these aren't gonna fit in my 20g i need to upgrade. So a year later i upgraded to a 75 assuring myself that my 1 senegal (turned out to be a SB) and my 1 ornate would be the last polys to join my 75..... then the polypterus disease finally caught up to me a couple months later when i saw a small buett and from there on i went on a terrible spending spree and ended up with 16 polys total.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Poly-Deathroll once you saw this one you'll never be amazed by other fish again. :thumbsup: (warning you should have no sharp decor or anything that your fish bump to cause this may cause accidents) I've had my senegal done it.

Tips how to: Fillet a fresh meat of tilapia, make sure it's much big (means not a snackable size preferably 3-4x the size of the head) then feed it, then observe. :woot:
Mine love to do that to earthworms. One time my buettikoferi and my palmas palmas grabbed the ends of a worm and they spun so fast it was as if a tornado was unleashed in my tank it was an amazing site.

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
I really gotta try feeding my fish earthworms. Got some in the fridge pretty much at all times for fishing, when I have my own place I plan to culture my own because I go through so many fishing so much, and if they are a good healthy food source for my fish even better

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
I've always been fascinated by dinosaurs and large fw monsters. When I saw "dinosaur eel" at petsmart I was intrigued. I picked one up and started researching them (wrong order I know lol). The more I learned the more I fell in love. They are so ancient and different looking. And their personalities are so dog like. I will pull a chair up and just watch the tank for hours.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store