What to do after ich has hit?

ErikFromNJ

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Maywood, NJ
I wouldn't bother with the gravel vac. A water change wouldn't hurt though.

King Fisher23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
SOCAL 92346
Great news all my fish didnt die I found my Firemouth hidding in some driftwood my dad said he took the last dead fish this moring but I just saw my firemouth and he looks fine now whitespots on him at all so do I just keep adding salt to the tank for the next few days and the temp is around 84

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
taken from wiki
Highly dependant on water temperature, the entire life-cycle takes approximately 7 days at 25 °C (77 °F) to 8 weeks at 6 °C (43 °F).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyophthirius

anyway it doesnt matter now that you have a fish thats still alive.

i would treat the tank with a copper medication if the fish looks like it will die. if not the salt and warm temperature should weaken the ich to a point where the fishes immune system can start fighting it off.

Jhitsos

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
valdosta ga
raise the temp to about 86 F and let it sit for a day or so and if u still dont feel comfortable then add some ich treatment, but it will be fine if u just raise the temp

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
King Fisher23;3203038; said:
This is good news so I can just do water changes and add salt everytime I do water changes for a few days?
That's it. How many fish did you lose to ich?

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
King Fisher23;3203038; said:
This is good news so I can just do water changes and add salt everytime I do water changes for a few days?
Yes, but remember to only add as much salt as water removed. Ime frequent water changes during ich is not good, because it stresses the fish, and that's the last thing you want when they have ich. I think you should bump the heat to 86, do a 20% water change w/gravel vac to get whatever free swimming ich you have, add salt, and wait. Wait 3-4 days after ich disapears from fish, and do a 50% water change to remove salt, and lower temp. Oh yeah remember to add exrta aeration during treatment, as oxygen is depleted in higher temps.

King Fisher23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
SOCAL 92346
5 im afraid alot of them where all covered with the ich
3)pictus cats
1)male silver saum(stud)
1)male connvict(mean bastard)
The FM is still doing fine is there a reason he didnt get ich or just luck.

King Fisher23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
SOCAL 92346
Nemesis529;3203137; said:
Yes, but remember to only add as much salt as water removed. Ime frequent water changes during ich is not good, because it stresses the fish, and that's the last thing you want when they have ich. I think you should bump the heat to 86, do a 20% water change w/gravel vac to get whatever free swimming ich you have, add salt, and wait. Wait 3-4 days after ich disapears from fish, and do a 50% water change to remove salt, and lower temp. Oh yeah remember to add exrta aeration during treatment, as oxygen is depleted in higher temps.
My firemouth has no signs of any ich on it (dont know male or female) but so just do alittle water change like 25% every 4-5 days or so and should be free of ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store