What to do after ich has hit?

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
Nemesis529;3203460; said:
I disagree. I think you added too little salt if you put 8-10 teaspoons. Your supposed to put 1 tbsp per 5 US gallon. So you put too little salt. 3 teaspoons=1 tbsp. So you roughly added 3 tbsp and need 2 more.
wow your unrelated salt comment completely changed my opinion:WHOA:

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
King Fisher23;3203354; said:
I have already added salt to the tank when my pictus died but my GT and Conn were to overtaken with ich and they died later but the FM is the only one with no signs of ich.
bluehairman;3203359; said:
The ich is probably already dead then.
Wrong theory, Bluehairman. Ich will survive as long as there is a host. KingFisher23's firemouth may have the strongest resistance which is why the ich did not appear on it as outbreak however ich still persists and will reside in gill tissues even in healthy fish. Give it another week of salt treatment. No need for tedious treatments such as copper.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
I agreed with higher temp as the metabolism will pass faster than colder temp which would pass slower

if that made any sense :)

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Lupin;3204050; said:
Wrong theory, Bluehairman. Ich will survive as long as there is a host. KingFisher23's firemouth may have the strongest resistance which is why the ich did not appear on it as outbreak however ich still persists and will reside in gill tissues even in healthy fish. Give it another week of salt treatment. No need for tedious treatments such as copper.
I was talking about the salt, but he didn't add enough anyways.

I think ich cannot reproduce at 86F?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
bluehairman;3204352; said:
I think ich cannot reproduce at 86F?
It can. The elevated temperature simply increases the lifecycle rate making it easier for the treatments to do their job more efficiently.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Lupin;3205133; said:
It can. The elevated temperature simply increases the lifecycle rate making it easier for the treatments to do their job more efficiently.
I read somewhere that a certain temperature prevents them from reproducing.. Maybe I'm imagining things.

TangoWRX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Jersey UK
bluehairman;3205174; said:
I read somewhere that a certain temperature prevents them from reproducing.. Maybe I'm imagining things.
You are not imagining it, Ive read that too. Put the temp really high and it kills it, just need to be careful the fish can handle it. eg like 32c / 90f

I personally have never had much trouble getting rid of ich. I put the temp up to 28/29c and add Protozin, job done. Even my clown loach are fine with this med.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store