What to do after ich has hit?

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
King Fisher23;3203167; said:
My firemouth has no signs of any ich on it (dont know male or female) but so just do alittle water change like 25% every 4-5 days or so and should be free of ich.
Even if it's not visible it still may have it. I would still do the treatment. Did you ever see that particular fish with ich on it's scales?

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Okay. Do this:
1) Do roughly 20% water change
2) Add 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. If you already have salt added, then replace the salt depending on how many gallons you took out. Example is you took out 2 gallons of water so you add 6 teaspoons of salt.
3) Boost the temperature to around 85-87F. You don't have to worry about oxygen levels. Salt promotes gill function so the little bit of lower oxygen won't make a difference.
4) Wait it out for about 3-4 days
5) Lower the temperature to about 81-82F.

Ich free tank!

King Fisher23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
SOCAL 92346
Nemesis529;3203253; said:
Even if it's not visible it still may have it. I would still do the treatment. Did you ever see that particular fish with ich on it's scales?
The Firemouth or the other fish if your talking about the Firemouth I have not seen any signs of ich on him at all since my pictus cats died and then saw the ich on the rest of my fish except the FM.

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
King Fisher23;3203272; said:
The Firemouth or the other fish if your talking about the Firemouth I have not seen any signs of ich on him at all since my pictus cats died and then saw the ich on the rest of my fish except the FM.
Ok, so still do the treatment. Most likely with the temp raised the Firemouth will break out in a day or two, but don't panic, just keep to the treatment. This only means that the ich process is speeding up. In a couple days it will clear up, and a couple days after that you'll be ich free.

King Fisher23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
SOCAL 92346
But I still plan to do the treatment anyways I want to becareful about this ive been keeping fish for a few years and this is my first case of ich so if I do a waterchange tommorow should I do a 25% change over 2 days or a 50% like I normally do?

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
I would only do 25% period. Then start the treatment. If you can start the treatment tonight. The quicker you respond to ich the better chance your fish has to survive.

BigDaddyMagnum

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2008
New York
y is everyne freaking over ich.. jus hit the temp to 86-87 and add salt and wait, not a big deal..... lol dont start with copper and this and that.... salt works just fine and isnt required to take out carbon and remove that and this and all this undeeded crap

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
BigDaddyMagnum;3203334; said:
y is everyne freaking over ich.. jus hit the temp to 86-87 and add salt and wait, not a big deal..... lol dont start with copper and this and that.... salt works just fine and isnt required to take out carbon and remove that and this and all this undeeded crap
That's basically what I've been trying to say in a less harsh way. But I keep getting ignored :irked: Maybe this will finally pound it in.

King Fisher, it's not advised that you do this, but I think it would be easier for you to use Quick Cure just this once... Then I suggest you do your own research on ich and exactly what must be done to cure it the more fish friendly way.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
King Fisher23;3203347; said:
Thanks you Nemesis529 and bluehairman you really helped out alot I appricate the help from both of you.
Do you think you're up to raising the temperature and adding salt?
Or are you going to buy quick cure.

If you think your up boosting the temp and adding salt then just do it. There's nothing fancy about it. SKIP the water changes, raise the temp, add the salt. Simple.

Your welcome. Glad I could help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store