What to do with fry...help lol

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi Everyone,

What do you guys do with your fry? I have guppies and multis being typical guppies and multis. I have fry coming out of my ears lol.

I had read somewhere that multi's will only have enough babies that the tank size would allow. I see now that is incorrect, as I have so many and new ones have hatched today :confused:. They are only in a 20g tall and the other females look like they want some "action" from the tank boss again.

Plus I have enough shrimp in my 20g planted guppy tank to take over the world ;). There isn't anywhere you can look in the tank without seeing at least 5 shrimp. They are only low-grade RCS.

I thought it would be cool to have some fry but this is ridiculous. At first, I thought "no problem, I'll feed some guppy fry and shrimp to my other fish" but cannot seem to bring myself to do it :rolleyes:

On top of everything I cannot afford to have heaps of tanks, as I'm currently not working due to illness and a very bad knee injury because in Australia not only is everything expensive, electricity is crazy expensive and have just announced the bill will increase by $500-$600 a year :mad:. Anyway enough of my sob story, what should I do with them?

Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi Everyone,

What do you guys do with your fry? I have guppies and multis being typical guppies and multis. I have fry coming out of my ears lol.

I had read somewhere that multi's will only have enough babies that the tank size would allow. I see now that is incorrect, as I have so many and new ones have hatched today :confused:. They are only in a 20g tall and the other females look like they want some "action" from the tank boss again.

Plus I have enough shrimp in my 20g planted guppy tank to take over the world ;). There isn't anywhere you can look in the tank without seeing at least 5 shrimp. They are only low-grade RCS.

I thought it would be cool to have some fry but this is ridiculous. At first, I thought "no problem, I'll feed some guppy fry and shrimp to my other fish" but cannot seem to bring myself to do it :rolleyes:

On top of everything I cannot afford to have heaps of tanks, as I'm currently not working due to illness and a very bad knee injury because in Australia not only is everything expensive, electricity is crazy expensive and have just announced the bill will increase by $500-$600 a year :mad:. Anyway enough of my sob story, what should I do with them?

Thanks

If you feel uncomfortable feeding the fry to your fish just take to lfs and give them to them for trade for food.

Reactions: tarheel96

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
The problem with australia is that there is almost no mom and pop style shops anymore, and generally they are along way away. Im facing the same problem with my guppies, and the store that i was going to start selling them to has gone in a differenet direction and has gone to fancy guppies so i now have to find somewhere else to sell them or sell them online. My similis on the other hand have only bread once in the time that i have had them and they are in a 120 gallon so that will be a while before i have too many.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
The problem with australia is that there is almost no mom and pop style shops anymore, and generally they are along way away. Im facing the same problem with my guppies, and the store that i was going to start selling them to has gone in a differenet direction and has gone to fancy guppies so i now have to find somewhere else to sell them or sell them online. My similis on the other hand have only bread once in the time that i have had them and they are in a 120 gallon so that will be a while before i have too many.

is it legal to sell them yourself? Maybe you can post on carousell or gumtree?

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Bloody hell cleaning my JD tank that also has 2 female swordtails. Swordtail Fry everywhere lol help

Yeah, we can sell on GumTree

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
not sure of the rules in your country, so if it is legal and you think is worth the effort.... you can try sell it
Yeah, as far as I know, it is legal. I have purchased many fish and plants from GumTree.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah, as far as I know, it is legal. I have purchased many fish and plants from GumTree.
yeah then he can consider selling for some cash or maybe do a barter trade for some fish food, equipment, etc....

i get most of my fishes from gumtree and carousell... lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store