what to feed large oscars

mikaelmiki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
United States
feeding mine several different things, hikari pellets, crayfish, super worms, shrimp, tilapia, crikets, veggi wafers, and some vegetables in rare ocassions.

He has basically eaten anything i have put in the tank except earthworms and my hand haha

so i would say from the way he attacks, crawfish are by far his favorite, but they are a rare treat he gets

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Live foods and some pellets can get messy - I'm wondering why you are asking this - is it because of expensive pellets? If so, get a bunch of different pellets, and just mix it up, so that the food costs go down.
Goldfish are not a good idea. Worms are great, but very messy.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Live foods and some pellets can get messy - I'm wondering why you are asking this - is it because of expensive pellets? If so, get a bunch of different pellets, and just mix it up, so that the food costs go down.
Goldfish are not a good idea. Worms are great, but very messy.
well reason for asking is the 5mm pellets there eating now one 10" oscar will eat 4-5 sticks on her own... so between the 2 10" oscars and my 5" oscar and other few guys im feeding about 10-20sticks a day .... im just looking at different options to see if there are food out there thats larger then 5mm that gonna fill them up with a stick or two rather then a bunch of sticks lol ... ya i have feed them worms and they go CRAZY for them, thats a rare treat for em lol it gets really messy in there with em

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
When you guys feed crayfish, are you talking about softies that they sell at the bait store? Or are you catching hard shelled crayfish and feeding them?

I wouldn't risk my fish's fins getting nipped, or an eye clawed from a hard shelled crayfish. It's not nature. No need to injure my fish to watch him eat a crayfish. Softies are another story though.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Spectrum large fish formula or the biggest they have, it's a lot cheaper then hikari I think and it's better food and more of it.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
well this is some of the very few large size pellets i can get in my area... wish the 10mm were floaters, seems the fish only like the floating ones, anytime i toss in sticks i feed now they eat em off the top, but when they sink they dont really bother with them really,

floating kind - http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c7026/c150740/p17548350.html

sinking - http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c7026/c150740/p17578480.html

here is a list of ALL the pellet/sticks these guys carry - http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c7026/c150740/index.html

and hikari ones on there site dont list the size of how large they really are ?

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
They are just used to the floating kind. If you only feed sinking pellets for a while, they'll start eating them.

Had the same thing happen with a few different fish when I change foods. You just have to have more patience than the fish. They'll start eating eventually. Keep in mind that chichlids can go a very long time without eating.

Just get NLS jumbo thera a+. It's the best out there.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
rob .......... the 7.5mm NLS pellets that pets&ponds carry are large enough for a 15+" oscar. I feed 10-12" CA cichlids the 4.5 mm. It's not about "filling a fish up", it's about providing them with the proper nutrition - and with quality foods less = more.

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
RD.....Out of curriosity, how many pellets (large fish or jumbo) would you be feeding a 12+"er per day?

I figure you've got a science based amount you feed, unlike the rest of us that feed more or less depending on how much the fish will eat in an alotted time, their perceived appetite, and if they're getting skinny or fat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store