what to feed large oscars

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
ok, well thats good to know that 7.5mm is big enough for oscars and etc.... it just that the stuffi feed now between the couple tanks im feeding alot cuz there small sticks 5mm or so, and my albino is a total effin pig lol ...

so you guys think i should get the NLS 7.5mm floating pellets for 69.99 prety much 5lbs of food... does fish food ever go stale ? or since it in a bucket it'll be just fine, also the hikari site has a list of the nutrients they put in there food and there quite a bit as well as vitamins thats good for fish by the looks of it ..

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
RD.....Out of curriosity, how many pellets (large fish or jumbo) would you be feeding a 12+"er per day?

I figure you've got a science based amount you feed, unlike the rest of us that feed more or less depending on how much the fish will eat in an alotted time, their perceived appetite, and if they're getting skinny or fat.
x2 :) lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Rob ....... there will be an expiry date on the NLS lid, it will last 12-24 months in storage, if stored properly. What I do is use a smaller container (1-2 months worth) and store the main bucket in a cool, dark, dry environment.

As far as how much to feed, this recent discussion should help.

From the above link .......

As far as pellet sizes, this will depend on the species being fed, but mostly by the size of the fishes mouth. A large fish can always eat a smaller pellet, a small fish will always make waste (from excessive chewing) with a pellet that is too large for it. As an example, I have raised 9-10" African cichlids on the 2mm pellets. Yes, they have to eat more pellets than they would if fed a larger pellet such as the 3mm, but there was zero waste, and the larger fish learned to "hunt" their food down. I have seen massive 16" CA cichlids fed nothing but the 3mm pellets.

There's a BIG difference between what a fish can fit in its mouth, and what size of pellet is the correct size for a fish. Pellets that are too large will cause a lot of chewing, and a lot of fine particulate matter (food) in the water column. That equates to excess & unnecessary pollution, and wasted food, which is wasted $$$.

It's not about what a fish can fit in its mouth, it's about what a fish can comfortably eat & swallow with little to no chewing involved. (less waste) As an example, in commercial operations most trout/salmon pellets designed for adult brooders typically start at 5mm. 10-12mm pellets is what is fed to 6-8 foot sturgeon. Keep that in mind when you are selecting pellets for a 6" fish.

Some fish prefer to feed at the surface (such as oscars, and other large cichlids), some fish prefer to feed mid-water, others are bottom feeders. In mixed tanks you may have to feed a mix of sizes, or types. (floating for some fish, sinking for others)

Feeding fish is part art, and part science, and sometimes one needs to experiment a bit in order to get things to work within their particular group of fish, or system.

and .........

How much to feed each fish depends a lot on the fishes level of activity. Obviously a 7-8" fish that lays around like a log won't require nearly as much food (energy) as a fish that is overly outgoing & never stops moving.

As far as what brand of food to buy, that's your call. Obviously my recomendation is NLS, due to nutrient density, and overall value/cost per pound.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I agree with Neil I fill and old small jar and keep the big container in fridge. As far as size goes my 13" RD gets 5mm pelets, no waste well, from the gills anyway.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Tom - your fish eats the 4.5 mm Jumo fish formula, same as what I feed my big boys. :) (there is no 5mm pellet)

Also - to the OP.
i have 3 oscar 2 are on the bigger size 8-10" and other is about 5-6" and the bigger ones i have will eat like 6 pellets each and the smaller one will eat prolly 3 pellets him self....

what is there out there that i can get to feed them less of to fill them up with ?

As you can see by my previous post, it's not about finding the LARGEST pellet so that you can feed fewer pellets to your fish. IMO & IME the 4.5mm floating pellets will be a better option vs feeding the larger 7.5mm pellets to oscars in the 8-10" range.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Ok 4.5mm pellets you are correct I was going off memory, which at this point as reached max capacity apprently :D

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Hmmmm, well I have 2 oscar in the tank... One 8-10" and the other is prolly 6" the other large one I had I had to move him out he got picked him pretty bad ....

So basically I have 2 oscars, 1 convict(4"), 1 tailspot ctenopoma(4"), 1 cichlasome dimerus(6"), 1 black ghost knife (8")...... What would you suggest ? So far all I've fed is the tetra cichlid sticks and they grow well on it and seem to like it.. For the knife fish since he hides a lot I break up a stick and toss it in and it will sink to the bottom near his cave

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, no worries Tom. At our age it's lucky that we can remember anything. ;)

Rob - On the overall feed amount, here's a good way to view most fish when it comes to feeding, after you factor in the energy level of the fish. Note the size of the stomach vs the fishes eye. You do not want to stuff your fish, they can only utilize so much food at a time, the rest will simply be excreted as waste, or stored as fat.

If you are happy feeding what you are currently using, then keep using it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
seedubs - I store mine in a closet. :) It's fine to store in the fridge as Tom does, or the freezer if for very long periods, but for the most part not necessary unless you plan on feeding out of the same bucket for a couple of years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store