What type of channa is this?

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Lucius all the way.

"Currently understood to have an enormous natural range extending east and southwards from the Mekong River system throughout much of Indochina including Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, and Peninsular Malaysia plus the Greater Sunda Islands of Sumatra, Borneo and Java and a number of smaller islands in the region."

Reactions: NeppDesu

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
Lucius all the way.

"Currently understood to have an enormous natural range extending east and southwards from the Mekong River system throughout much of Indochina including Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, and Peninsular Malaysia plus the Greater Sunda Islands of Sumatra, Borneo and Java and a number of smaller islands in the region."
Oh, okay. Channa lucius it is then. Btw, where did you get that statement? Can't search it anywhere. Is it from books or something?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Also do channa need air pump?
Not at all, I wouldn't actually recommend it. They usually come from more still waters and breathe a lot of atmospheric air so it isn't necessary :)

Reactions: NeppDesu

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
Lucius all the way.

Oh, i found them. Can't believe I missed that lol

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
Not at all, I wouldn't actually recommend it. They usually come from more still waters and breathe a lot of atmospheric air so it isn't necessary :)
I caught it in an always running drainage (some carp and gourami also live in there), but if it naturally come from still water so I wouln't need an air pump. But what if I did install the air pump (maybe for its roommate), won't it affect its health?
Sorry for asking many questions, I'm just too inexperienced lol

Reactions: Madou

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I caught it in an always running drainage (some carp and gourami also live in there), but if it naturally come from still water so I wouln't need an air pump. But what if I did install the air pump (maybe for its roommate), won't it affect its health?
Sorry for asking many questions, I'm just too inexperienced lol
Channas are very forgiving in water quality. They actually require air, they cannot live without access to air because they need to breathe it. I see no problem with running an air pump, other than the fact it will disturb the peace of the tank, which Channas enjoy.

And i'm afraid there won't be a need for air for tankmates, as there won't be tankmates. General rule of thumb is: "If the channa can kill it, it will. if it can't, it'll hide".

Either way, you're left with either one fish, or a boring depressive Channa.

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
And i'm afraid there won't be a need for air for tankmates, as there won't be tankmates. General rule of thumb is: "If the channa can kill it, it will. if it can't, it'll hide".

Either way, you're left with either one fish, or a boring depressive Channa.
It wont have a roommate? Bummer. Guess i'll have to choose from an arowana or a snakehead

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
Channas are very forgiving in water quality. They actually require air, they cannot live without access to air because they need to breathe it. I see no problem with running an air pump, other than the fact it will disturb the peace of the tank, which Channas enjoy
Okay. I'll not install the air pump then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store