What's a good budget friendly HOB filter that will fit in a 125?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not a defender, just a practical realist. While an o-ring failing on an AC is always possible, it seems about as probable as lightning striking me as I cross the street. I'm not sure of the OP's local prices and/or sales, but I have purchased all of mine over the years during sales. They were cheap, even for CAD pricing and taxes - and they are all still working.

I can post a link to someone's (fill in the blank model) filter, failing, all day long. lol
What is that supposed to prove? My response to your post last time you linked to it, Tiger.

…….. which at the end the OP stated: "I had stuffed a extra inch of polyfill on top the sponge and other stuff. It fluffed the more it got wet thus causing the overflow. Its running fine now"

Another clear case of operator error.

I have been running AC's for longer than many people here have been keeping fish, and have never had one overflow, or leak.

To the OP ………. good luck with whatever you decide.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Im not just an outspoken fanboy or mindless aquaclear-fluval parrot. My opinions come from hands on experiences with all the filters mentioned (except for seachem which i am curious about).

Theres some actual engineering and thought in the design of the aquaclear, which necessitates that all the water moving through it(much more than the penguin) moves down then up through all of the media (again, MUCH more than the penguin) on its way to the exit overflow. The media is easily rinsed and the foam is sturdy enough to use for years.

By contrast, the penguins flow splits moving back to front and hits two thin grate like foam chambers and then through an inexplicable spinny dealy on its way out. Like i said, if you have any kind of beefy fish those grates get clogged up fast. To mitigate this you have to change out the foam in the grates, which effectively removes a lot of the bb colonies that may have cultivated there, leaving the tank open to mini-cycles or ammonia spikes.

Reactions: johnnyjag

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Can't argue with the results Tiger is getting with his tanks using Penguins. They're clean and the fish look healthy.

I'm currently running a Tidal 110 in addition to my canisters and don't have any issues with it so far. I'm using it for surface skimming and aeration, but the extra media volume is nice too.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally have both brand of filters. One Penguin on a 29 gallon. I removed the bio wheel replaced it with a fluval sponge. Tbh I prefer AC HOB filters over any other because of it's history and the simple design that makes it easy to maintain.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Can't argue with the results Tiger is getting with his tanks using Penguins. They're clean and the fish look healthy.

I'm currently running a Tidal 110 in addition to my canisters and don't have any issues with it so far. I'm using it for surface skimming and aeration, but the extra media volume is nice too.
I won't argue but will point out that, from what ive seen, tiger15s tanks are heavily scaped, heavily planted. Lots of surface in the tank to cultivate BB. I will also point out that his/her (just being pc idk for sure) tanks are not particularly heavily stocked.

Now if you have a bare bottom tank with oscars or other large cichlids in it, the media content of the filter becomes much more vital.

Which begs the question to Irecruitfish Irecruitfish what kind of stock and how is the tank scaped?

Last edited:

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I won't argue but will point out that, from what ive seen, tiger15s tanks are heavily scaped, heavily planted. Lots of surface in the tank to cultivate BB. I will also point out that his/her (just being pc idk for sure) tanks are not particularly heavily stocked.

Now if you have a bare bottom tank with oscars or other large cichlids in it, the media content of the filter becomes much more vital.

Which begs the question to Irecruitfish Irecruitfish what kind of stock and how is the tank scaped?
It's pretty much a bare tank. Housing two Dovii's. One is 16" and the other 6". Some quite a few rocks/caves. No plants. Very little gravel.

Reactions: Zanzag

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
There's also the same few defenders of the penguin series. Seems more to be a preference thing, but I'll hold strong and say you get more bang for your buck with the ac line in most cases
In Amazon, AC 110 sells for $80 and Penguin 350 $30. It's very clear Penguin is the better bang of buck of the two as you can buy 2.7 Penguin for the price of one AC.

The AC foam measured 10"L x 3.5"w 3.5d, and Penguin 6"L x 4"w x 1"d x 2 pads. AC has much larger media volume, but slightly smaller cross section area. For mechanical filtration, cross sectional area matters more than volume because once the first 1/2 d is clogged, not much can pass through.

I am not a Penguin defender, as I believe all cartridge style HOBs (Whisper, Topfin, Marina etc ) have similar design and thereby similar performance. The difference between cartridge style and AC style is frequency of cleaning. Cartridge style need to be cleaned more frequently and many users perceive it as problematic. In reality, it is doing its job by catching fine effectively, and more frequent cleaning is better for water quality by removing solid waste as soon as it is produced.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store