What's causing my high nitrate levels?

BarnacleBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2018
I have a 55 Gallon African Cichlid tank. Ph is 8.2. Temp is 81. HOB filter up to 60 gallons. Ammonia levels are 0- 0.25ppm. Very low nitrate levels. But verrrrryy high nitrite levels... above 5.0ppm. Tank is cycled and has been up and running for about a month.

I dont overfeed my fish. When I found out my nitrite levels were high I started scooping out excess food with a net after feeding time.

A little less than a month ago. I cycled my tank and made sure my water quality was good. I then put in my baby Africans. 5 of them. Over the next 3 weeks they all died, one by one. My last one died this morning. After the first fish died (a few days after putting them In the tank) I checked and found out the nitrite levels were high.

I did everything I could to save them after the first fish died. I did 30%-50% water changes every few days. Put in bottled nitrifying bacteria a few times. Even put in an ammonia neutralizer a few times. It seems the ammonia neutralizer worked because the levels are very low. But apparently my water changes and bacteria aren't doing their job because my nitrite levels are still super high. I checked the water quality after my last fish died this morning and the nitrite levels haven't changed at all from day 1. What the hell is happening? And how do i fix it?

Reactions: DOOB

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 55 Gallon African Cichlid tank. Ph is 8.2. Temp is 81. HOB filter up to 60 gallons. Ammonia levels are 0- 0.25ppm. Very low nitrate levels. But verrrrryy high nitrite levels... above 5.0ppm. Tank is cycled and has been up and running for about a month.

I dont overfeed my fish. When I found out my nitrite levels were high I started scooping out excess food with a net after feeding time.

A little less than a month ago. I cycled my tank and made sure my water quality was good. I then put in my baby Africans. 5 of them. Over the next 3 weeks they all died, one by one. My last one died this morning. After the first fish died (a few days after putting them In the tank) I checked and found out the nitrite levels were high.

I did everything I could to save them after the first fish died. I did 30%-50% water changes every few days. Put in bottled nitrifying bacteria a few times. Even put in an ammonia neutralizer a few times. It seems the ammonia neutralizer worked because the levels are very low. But apparently my water changes and bacteria aren't doing their job because my nitrite levels are still super high. I checked the water quality after my last fish died this morning and the nitrite levels haven't changed at all from day 1. What the hell is happening? And how do i fix it?
Welcome aboard

Are you adding dechlorinator during water changes. Sometimes it will take a aquarium longer than a month to cycle.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What do you mean by you cycled the tank? , or how did you cycle the tank?
Were you doing a fish less cycle where you add small amounts of ammonia daily? Or did you add sacrificial fish to produce ammonia it takes to build up the population of ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria?
Or did you just let the tank sit a week without fish, thinking that's cycling?
It normally takes between 6-8 weeks to cycle a tank, using either method (fish-less, or sacrificial fish).
To me, with high nitrite, it sounds the tank is not really cycled, maybe only half cycled.

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
I think your ammonia remover is what did you in. part of the cycling process is the ammonia present feeds the good bacteria to grow and propagate. ammonia is kinda like food for beneficial bacteria. and you went and removed it with a ammonia remover. myself, I would start over by buying a few cheap sacrificial mollies or platties and throw them in. take out your ammonia remover and let the tank cycle. feed em once a day a small amount. let the tank and filters cycle till ur tests read 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and from 0 to 40 or 50ppm nitrates. just a suggestion

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Ammonia levels are 0- 0.25ppm. Very low nitrate levels. But verrrrryy high nitrite levels... above 5.0ppm. Tank is cycled
HELLO; No not cycled.

nitrite levels were high I started scooping out excess food with a net
Hello; A good thing to try but not very effective. That you find excess food bits is a sign you overfeed.

apparently my water changes and bacteria aren't doing their job because my nitrite levels are still super high
Hello; When you have fish in a tank and high levels of either ammonia or nitrite doing large water changes (WC) is a catch 22. The WC dilute the toxins that harm the fish but at the same time dilutes the nutrients the beneficial bacteria (bb) need to become established.

Sometimes it will take a aquarium longer than a month to cycle
hello; This.

your tank just needs more time for nitrifing bacteria to populate,
Hello; This.

with high nitrite, it sounds the tank is not really cycled, maybe only half cycled
hello; This. ( Also may I suggest you pay close attention to anything duanes may post.)
let the tank and filters cycle till ur tests read 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and from 0 to 40 or 50ppm nitrates. just a suggestion
hello; This.

hello; It may be too late to save the current fish from the effects of the toxin nitrite so if any survive they may have already suffered damage. I will add a link about the nitrogen cycle later.

BarnacleBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2018
Thanks to everyone who responded! It has come to my attention that I did not fully cycle my tank.

I unfortunately was misinformed by a company that sold me beneficial bacteria. They claimed I could cycle a tank in a week with no fish by simply adding some fish food into the tank. Letting it build up ammonia. And then adding the bacteria.

I guess I should have read up more on these forums first.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Do you have a friend/acquaintance fish keeper in the neighbourhood who could lend you some established media (a sponge for example)?

I have been back into tropical fish for the last 15 years and have only cycled a tank once. When I want to set up a new tank or have torn down an old one for a while, I fill the new tank with 80%-85% fresh water, treat for chlorine, add heater and empty filter and run a few hours to make sure temperature is where it needs to be.

Then I add a sponge from my established tank (or two if it is a bigger tank) and Bio-Max from my established tank and immediately add the new fish and top off with some old tank water. I have done this with sensitive Tanganyika fish, even wild caughts and never lost a fish. I am careful not to feed too much the first week nor add too many fish that week.

I have set up tanks at work a 15 min. drive away using the same method; bringing media from home, keeping media submerged in tank water in a bucket, and doing the transfer as soon as I arrive at work. I am not sure how long media can retain beneficial bacteria without circulation and how much temperature change the media can handle, so I try to be quick with this scenario and not press my luck.

I have heard some people say to add mostly established tank water and established gravel but I have not found that to make a difference myself. The established media is the key.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store