What's causing my high nitrate levels?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Yes, of course, I had an anarobic nitrogen fixing bacteria, stuck in my head, which strips the ate, of nitrate, for its oxygen supply.

BarnacleBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2018
Well at about 80'F. The bacteria can double their population about every 15 minutes.

I spiked my system to 8 ppm by accident and it took about 2 days. Cleaning residue in a 55 gallon drum..

I would expect in less than 3 days. If your system is good, you should see a bump on the nitrites, and then nitrates should turn the api test orange.
Good news!! Only 12 hours after adding the ammonia last night, I've already seen a spike in the nitrite and nitrate. They are converting it! The Ammonia is already almost back to zero. Looks like I'm going to have to do some water changes to bring my nitrates back down after it's all done converting right?

BarnacleBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2018
Yes, of course, I had an anarobic nitrogen fixing bacteria, stuck in my head, which strips the ate, of nitrate, for its oxygen supply.
Oh I forgot... will doing a big water change after its cycled, decrease the amount of bacteria? To the point where its counterproductive?

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
If there is no fish in tank u should do like mark suggested and add some ammonia. Test ur water everyday and watch ammonia and nitrite levels as they diminissh. Watching it will help in understanding and learning the cycle process. Patience in aquariums is key to success. I think a big water change right away will throw u into a cycle again

BarnacleBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2018
If there is no fish in tank u should do like mark suggested and add some ammonia. Test ur water everyday and watch ammonia and nitrite levels as they diminissh. Watching it will help in understanding and learning the cycle process. Patience in aquariums is key to success. I think a big water change right away will throw u into a cycle again

I did what mark said and added the ammonia last night so that the tank had 2ppm of ammonia. And Only 12 hours after adding it last night, I've already seen a spike in the nitrite and nitrate. They are converting it! The Ammonia is already almost back to zero. Looks like I'm going to have to do some water changes to bring my nitrates back down after it's all done converting right?

Reactions: tarheel96

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
The bacteria colony which converts nitrite into nitrates, still is developing its size.

In a fully cycled aquarium the bacteria will convert nitrite into nitrate as fast as the bacteria can convert ammonia into nitrites.

Once the nitrite is back to 0ppm. It will be safe to add fish. The nitrate will probably be in the red, but it can hit 200ppm plus with out a fish kill. * less a few sensitive types, and *salt water * inverts,* human babies.

I do about 40% water change, with 55 gallon drum slow flow mix, every week, and my nitrates stay between 15ppm and 25ppm. My tap water is on the high side at 15ppm as I live in corn counrty.

I would start with a 10% water change frequently, then a large one, to be safe, against chorimine, Ph, and temperature issues.

Reactions: tarheel96

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
Good news!! Only 12 hours after adding the ammonia last night, I've already seen a spike in the nitrite and nitrate. They are converting it! The Ammonia is already almost back to zero. Looks like I'm going to have to do some water changes to bring my nitrates back down after it's all done converting right?
Right. Normally, when both ammonia and nitrite read 0 ppm 12-24 hours after adding liquid ammonia (increasing NH3 level to 2 ppm), you declare the tank cycled and perform a massive (near complete) water change. You then immediately add fish which are the new supply of ammonia from then on.

You would perform smaller water changes until then in order to keep nitrite from getting so far off the chart it becomes unreadable.

Just don't let your filter media dry out and don't change it. All the nitrifying bacteria will die.

Every 1 ppm ammonia added gets converted into about 2.8 ppm nitrite, so nitrite will get way up there until more of the nitrite-oxidizing bacteria grow in your filter media. That's the bacteria you're waiting for now.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I used a Diy, denitrator, a while back, They work, but require maintenance.
I currently use algea scrubbers.

Some of the sulfur based denitrator are less maintenance, but the media is expensive compared to water changes.

My DIY, used sugar at about .02 cents per day.

Reactions: Bonytang
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store