What's In The Box?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Yes you are and it seems you and I now have a fish in common,by the looks of this guy.Papyrocranus knife fish.
Bingo. I through some extra decor in the tank to be sure the two knives get along well. From what I've read the Gymnotus is the more aggressive of the two, but it has a much smaller mouth, so hopefully with the extra hiding spots they'll be fine together.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Bingo. I through some extra decor in the tank to be sure the two knives get along well. From what I've read the Gymnotus is the more aggressive of the two, but it has a much smaller mouth, so hopefully with the extra hiding spots they'll be fine together.
That'll change once it get bigger, the Pom Pom knife.

Most gymnotus are aggressive to smaller fish. Too aggressive tankamtes will make it stressed, just a FYI.

Reactions: magpie

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
And, what is your total stocking in it?
Mota
Green Terror
King Kong Blood Parrot
2 Firemouths
Green Severum
Rotkeil Severum
2 EBA
3 Angels
Vieja Synspilum
Vieja Guttulatus
Flowerhorn (In the process of selling it though)
Hoplarchus Psittacus
3 Balas
7 Polypterus
Ropefish
Featherfin Cat
Sun Cat
Pleco
BGK
Afer
Gymnotus

It looks like a lot, but at the moment a majority of them are still small, and I do 80% water changes twice weekly. On top of that I plan to get another tank that's at least large enough to move the smaller fish over, but preferably a 150g+. If I can't expand then I'll upgrade to a 300.

I also added more decor to the tank to keep the knives separated.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Mota
Green Terror
King Kong Blood Parrot
2 Firemouths
Green Severum
Rotkeil Severum
2 EBA
3 Angels
Vieja Synspilum
Vieja Guttulatus
Flowerhorn (In the process of selling it though)
Hoplarchus Psittacus
3 Balas
7 Polypterus
Ropefish
Featherfin Cat
Sun Cat
Pleco
BGK
Afer
Gymnotus

It looks like a lot, but at the moment a majority of them are still small, and I do 80% water changes twice weekly. On top of that I plan to get another tank that's at least large enough to move the smaller fish over, but preferably a 150g+. If I can't expand then I'll upgrade to a 300.

I also added more decor to the tank to keep the knives separated.
Umm, yeah, that sounds like a ton. Lol. At least your doing some major water changes. Makes my 220 sound pretty bare with three fire eels (between 11" and 17") and two vulture catfish (10" to 11"). Haha. I do weekly water changes (only have time for once a week) of about 95%. I use about half aged water and the rest comes from the tap with Safe for my water conditioner.

Do you use Safe with your water changes?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Umm, yeah, that sounds like a ton. Lol. At least your doing some major water changes. Makes my 220 sound pretty bare with three fire eels (between 11" and 17") and two vulture catfish (10" to 11"). Haha. I do weekly water changes (only have time for once a week) of about 95%. I use about half aged water and the rest comes from the tap with Safe for my water conditioner.

Do you use Safe with your water changes?
I use API because it's cheap. A year's worth for $25, but if I have a new or sick fish I'll use safe because of how it detoxifies nitrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store