whats possible with cichlids?

Jayson745

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
I have breed convicts, but never mixed anything. I'm just wondering whats possible.

Like, can central american cichlids breed with african cichlids? Or South american with north american? Or do you have to keep them within there own continent where they are more likely to be distantly related?

Just so you know, I'm not even sure if this is something I want to do. And if I do I'll be responsible about it. I understand the dangers to the hobby with reckless hybreeding. :)

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
For a general rule, u want to keep all africans with africans all americans with americans. THey need didfferent water parameters but they can be slowsly ACCLIMATED TO BASICALLY ANY CONDITIONS. BUT to help your fish grow largest, live healthiest, and live longest keep them in a roomy tank, with native tankmates and KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR WATER PARAMETERS. Heres a pic of me breakin the rule. african VS american, AFRICAN WON!

100_0533.jpg

100_0530.jpg

100_0532.jpg

fishguts

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
pennsylvania
AquataHolic420;1134548; said:
For a general rule, u want to keep all africans with africans all americans with americans. THey need didfferent water parameters but they can be slowsly ACCLIMATED TO BASICALLY ANY CONDITIONS. BUT to help your fish grow largest, live healthiest, and live longest keep them in a roomy tank, with native tankmates and KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR WATER PARAMETERS. Heres a pic of me breakin the rule. african VS american, AFRICAN WON!
well the the very bright red on that jewel plus the one behind it tells me there a breeding pair and that jewel is going to give everything its got to defend the territory so id say thats why it won. after taking another look at that pic thats not a jewel in the backround but i bet u have a cherry red female in there somewere correct?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Well, the jewel and dempsey were not about to get it on... so it's kind of a moot point as far as hybridizing.

But, there is only one North American Cichlid, the Texas, and it does happen to be one of those that does a lot of hybridizing with Central American ones. But yes, many cichlids are hybridizing these days...

cichlidmasterpro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
ohio
yes to the question of 4 grandparents i have some secret project fish that i have breed that have 7 fish in one and both parents are hybrids.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
santoury;1141109; said:
Well, the jewel and dempsey were not about to get it on... so it's kind of a moot point as far as hybridizing.

But, there is only one North American Cichlid, the Texas, and it does happen to be one of those that does a lot of hybridizing with Central American ones. But yes, many cichlids are hybridizing these days...
Central America is part of North America, it's not it's own continent despite what the name might imply.

Jayson; African cichlids cannot cross with any American cichlid. Only with fish from their own continents (though some North and South American cichlids can cross). Most hybrids are sterile but not all.

Aquaticholic; While your statement is mostly true in regards to water parameters this is not always true. It mostly refers to rift lake Africans, they are the ones who need the hard water and even still many are adaptable. Cichlids from other parts of Africa however don't live in these same habitats and actually live in water more like those found in South America. Your jewel cichlid is one of these as are kribensis, buttikoferi etc. I would love to someday start a non-rift lake cichlid community.

cichlidsguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
SoCal
So would a jewel cichlid breed with any American cichlid????

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
cichlidsguy;1141952; said:
So would a jewel cichlid breed with any American cichlid????
No, though they live in similer habitats they aren't genetically similer enough to breed.

Jayson745

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanx for the responses. It really helped clear some stuff up.

I think I will give it a go. Now to decide what to get and try to mix. I was thinking about trying something with a blue demsey. Any suggestions on what mate might make cool offspring?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store