what's your worst purchase

isellcars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
ATX
The Fire mouth cichlid I "rescued" from a friends tank that was being harassed. Well after 3 days my entire platies fry is gone, 8 neon tetras and 10 ghost shrimp went missing. Well I got rid of the cichild on day 4 and have not lost a fish since then.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jug

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
The Ozarks
I haven't made a bad purchase yet but my son made up for it with the aquarium he started in colleg and the drug home and abandoned. His worst purchase by far was a 5" electric catfish. After the 1st night his oscar was nervous wreck and his bala shark was doing doing end over end somersaults back and forth across the top of the tank. After the next night and i found his young lungfish had escaped and was wedged between the tank & wall but ok. Solitary for the catfish until a new owner could be found.

hbengtson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
USA
I have just been trying to buy a pair of BD and Motoro rays- and some dats- Thought the prices seemed too good to be true- Nick Price and Jason Horne. Kept sending me pictures of beautiful pictures of their fish they were trying to get rid of to make room for more things that were coming in- I paid for two BD Rays and two Motoro Rays, and 7 indo dats. Got home later and was checking online for google images and noticed the pictures they sent were just images they had captured from the internet. Lucky for me I used paypal and was able to open a dispute and hopefully will be able to reverse the charges. Amazing how unscrupulous some sellers are!

donza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
wollongong
i got a baby jag cichlid that harassed and killed at least 6 other tankmates that were more than twice his size so a $10 purchase ended up costing me more than $100 in lost fish

uncle mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2011
Florida
When I was a young boy many years ago I started with a 20 gallon tank and little by little purchased a small school of neons, a school of zebras and a couple of small catfish. One day I went to a pet shop and saw an unusual fish called the oscar. I asked the person at the pet shop if it would go with my fish ok. His reply was "The oscar is fine in a community tank like yours." So I purchased it. You can guess what happened next.
Little by little my neons and zebras were disappearing. One day I caught the oscar consuming a poor neon. Even though the oscar was relatively small his mouth was huge. So I returned the oscar to the pet shop.

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
I had bought "freshwater shimp" that looked like 1"glass shrimp to clean the tank. Turned out they were Red Claw Shrimp (macrobrachium prawns). 3 months later 1 survivor was 4" long and no longer cleaning... I thought it would be a good idea to introduce some panda corys. 15 minutes later all three corys had their fins eaten off and were stuffed under rocks for later while still alive.

I did keep the prawn until I had to move the 55g he was in to my office. Bucketed the fish and tore it all down. While I was cleaning up, I heard my cat screech and I went running... The Red Claw had jumped the bucket, and the cat wanted to play. Last I saw of the shrimp, it had my cat by the lip. RIP my little Clawrar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store