Where do I buy plants and plant ideas

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
If potted is on the table red tiger lotus or any val species would be impressive. The vals would look a lot like a spider plant once runners happened
I’m not really that much into pots. I want to preserve that natural look. But thank you though. I will still keep it in the back of my mind.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Also, as I’m doing more research on the Anubias, I’m seeing that as they grow older, they become taller. Is that true for all the classifications of anubias, or is there a classification of Anubias that stays in a bush like manner for its entire life?

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Nana petite stays fairly small in comparison to the regular variety, but in my experience the rhizome does grow upwards towards the light with the leaves following suit

Reactions: Zak03

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Anubius Nana and nana petite stay smaller. Bucephalandra, Moss, bolbitis, Java fern, are all good but you can’t run too much light or you’ll get algae. They don’t grow fast enough to uptake excess nutrients or light so algae will get a hold. Use lower powered lighting or add floating plants like salvinia minima or stem plants like hornwort, wisteria, guppy grass...they will block some of the light and will grow fast enough to uptake excess nutrients. Start with a lot of plants so the plants can outcompete algae...don’t start with a few and try to grow them out, algae usually wins

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
To get buce and anubias to stay growing low and bushy is a real balancing act with lights, coz too much of it and you might get algae growth on the leaves but too little and they start to grow taller stems to reach the light...

Although i find because they grow so slow that its not as bad unless its in really low light conditions...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Agree with Zanzag Zanzag that there is no sure way to tell as no two tanks are the same...

It will also depend on what other plants you have and how fast they use up extra nutrients which will play a big part in all this...

Eitherway, being that they are low light plants, i wouldn’t throw something like 4x T5-HO bulbs over them or something similar in power (unless tank is quite large or very tall)...

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
This is a 55 with a 2 bulb t-8 shoplight left on for 12-14 hrs a day. I have to remove as much duckweed as i can weekly and i pull any leaves on my lotus that are not to my liking as i see fit. No ferts. And i dont touch the substrate. My trumpet snail army does that for me.20190601_104643.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store