White or Black Sand Please show me your tanks!!!!!

ILikeBichirs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2012
somewhere
IMO black sand is my favorite colored sand to use. Although i am running white in my 240 haha white looks decent, but it washes out color on some fish and shows all the poop, which is a good thing when it comes to siphoning and poop vaccing, still prefer black though haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1361307696.746212.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1361307741.031057.jpg

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
With your setup I'd go with black. Your colors would look really good against an all black environment. I would keep my bright green plants, but replace my others with red. Some blasting sand would be really good I think thats what I'm going to use in my jags big tank I'm setting up. Just wash it real real real good. Use a dinner plate to pour water in it will help keep the cloudiness down.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/sandbl...k-diamond-20-40-blasting-media-50-lb--3905403

If you choose white this below looks real good.
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Filters-and-Filter-Supplies/Filter-Supplies/14700.html

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
i like PFS with small gravel thrown around to hopefully make it look natural.this is a 90 growout tank.with good current and directed water output flows the waste for the most part will not collect on top.but vacuuming any sand is easy

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It depends on the fish. IMO things like severums, chocolate cichlids, acara-types, and discus will keep darker bodies and show their stress bars more when they are over a dark substrate. I've had the best luck with a black painted background and pool filter sand which is light tan (not quite white). Their colors lighten up a bit over the light sand but pop against the black background.

Of course this will not affect albinos or fish like super red severums, midas/red devils, or fish that don't have a ton of dark pigment.
I agree, I also use PFS with a black background. PSF & Black sand mixed can be nice too.

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
Thanks to everyones pics and recomendations, I really think Iam leaning towards black but I have seen some awesome tanks with white.
KEEP THE PICS COMING, Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store