White poop after feeding freshwater prawn

Swaroop gadekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2019
Pune,India.
Hello . I am having jardini arowana 6 inch and when i change from hikari food sticks to frozen freshwater prawns. My jardini poops in white coloured. And sometimes it floats. But when i feed him sticks the poop is normal brown in colour and doesn't floats ..? Please help me.
What should be done..

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Their poo is much like yours, a processed version of what they ate. So when feed brown pellets the poo will be brown. When feed raw white fish flesh the poo will be white as well.

Now if the poo is coming out long and stringy and white when feed brown food then you know you have an issue.

Swaroop gadekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2019
Pune,India.
Their poo is much like yours, a processed version of what they ate. So when feed brown pellets the poo will be brown. When feed raw white fish flesh the poo will be white as well.

Now if the poo is coming out long and stringy and white when feed brown food then you know you have an issue.
The poop is less in thickness than before...when i use to feed hikari sticks.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
There's other foods you can switch to like mealworms, garden worms and beef heart. List is very incomplete, but i'm sure you get the picture. Like Jexnell said, depending on what you feed them, the poop will be different in color and thickness. The same thing happens when i feed my dempseys garden worms, the poop looks rather gross. If the aro droppings is ok, with solid foods like hikari pellets and sticks. No need to worry at all! My fish definitely do better with large pellets than krill or shrimp. When it comes to making a mess of foods in the tank. I feel the same as you, when it's feeding time and debris gets shot all over the tank. It's nerve wrecking, but a powerful filter will clean it up rather quickly though. Also do huge water changes, when it's time.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
When I use to feed hikari sticks he eats a little and crushed all the sticks which makes bad water quality. So i switched to prawns
I see. Frozen foods and prawns can cause this issue with the poop. As long as it’s behavior is normal then wouldn’t worry.

Swaroop gadekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2019
Pune,India.
There's other foods you can switch to like mealworms, garden worms and beef heart. List is very incomplete, but i'm sure you get the picture. Like Jexnell said, depending on what you feed them, the poop will be different in color and thickness. The same thing happens when i feed my dempseys garden worms, the poop looks rather gross. If the aro droppings is ok, with solid foods like hikari pellets and sticks. No need to worry at all! My fish definitely do better with large pellets than krill or shrimp. When it comes to making a mess of foods in the tank. I feel the same as you, when it's feeding time and debris gets shot all over the tank. It's nerve wrecking, but a powerful filter will clean it up rather quickly though. Also do huge water changes, when it's time.
I can afford only prawns or hikari sticks . Will it be good feeding prawns every day ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store