Who has a 100+ gallon tank in a apartment?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Have any of you had personal experience with tanks exploding or breaking the floor?
.Hello; Not my personal damage but damage none the less.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-out-there-Question-about-reinforcing-a-floor

Hello; Reads like you feel comfortable with the decision to go ahead. I was trying to be helpful and have reached the end of possible useful suggestions. Still say if you "can" get these things in writing with the tank size mentioned that is the best way to go. I sense you are not going to do that which is your call. Hope things go well.

If things do happen to go south please consider keeping us posted. Others post a similar question about floor damage and I am confident it happens. Might be a useful bit of information for those considering a large tank in an apartment in the future. I know there are threads in this forum about tanks having catastrophic breakage and dumping most or all the water.

Sorry for being so negative.

Good luck

Corey11b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
I appreciate all the time you have put into my post. You have opened my eyes to many things I did not consider. I'm going to the main office today to learn more about the floors.

Reactions: skjl47

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I have not had any catastrophic failures and the only tank I have had leak is a 55 gallon along the bottom seam. It was pretty slow maybe a 3-5 gallons a day. Others may have more dramatic examples to share but I have had pretty good luck. A more likely scenario is a tube coming loose from a canister if you choose that route for filtration, or in my case getting distracted when filling after a water change leaving the water running at several gallons per minute. All but four of my tanks are in my garage on a slab with a drain in the middle so water damage is a non issue for the most part.

Reactions: Corey11b

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
From what I have read it will not break the floor. The floor will flex with the weight of the water in the tank and the tank will either crack and leak slowly, or blow out. Either way all that water would cause thousands in damages.

This is your call. I'm not trying to talk you out of it either, just things to consider. I'm pretty impressed you got the tank up so many floors. Haha

Corey11b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2017
From what I have read it will not break the floor. The floor will flex with the weight of the water in the tank and the tank will either crack and leak slowly, or blow out. Either way all that water would cause thousands in damages.

This is your call. I'm not trying to talk you out of it either, just things to consider. I'm pretty impressed you got the tank up so many floors. Haha
That is a story within it's self imagine a guy driving down the highway with a 150 gal tank strapped to the hood of his Altima...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store