Why are datnoids so expensive?

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
keonigt;3996925; said:
do i have to put black water extract?
or what do i have to do with the tank if they like it brackish?
and the spikes, do they hurt when you grab them?
Don't need blackwater extract, that is for fish that thrive in softwater. Depends on what kind of dat you are getting if you need brackish water. I have kept ATs in freshwater for years, but to me they don't seem to thrive in it. Those first couple dorsal spines are nothing to fool with, but fortunately when they are out of the water, dats tend to stay still.

keonigt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Hawaii
like do the fins actually cut you?
and im getting an indo, do they need brackish water?

ohh and i just called the LFS and they said they have 4 left. I was wondering if i should get 2 or just 1?
and the 55 gallon tank that it is going to go in right now currently has 8 tetras and a longfin pleco.
is this ok?

Rawrs.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
New York City
Your tetras are going to end up gone. Dats are predator fish they usually swallow fish whole, however I did feed it a guppy which couldn't fit in their mouths they ended up killing it and was gone in 1 hour. Get them all they're worth the hype.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
For Indo's you want fw. Get 1 or 3+. They'll fight if u only have 2. Research more datnoid care threads before you buy.

PufferFreak88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
San Marcos, CA
Sorry to say this but before you even get those datnoids into your tank, you must clear those tetras out of your tank otherwise you will see the datnoid eat them up.

keonigt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Hawaii
i told my dad that the datnoid would eat any small fish you put in there and he didnt believe so 2 days later my aunty brings home some tetras and she puts it into my tank without me knowing so i guess my dad is seeing if i was lying.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Keep in mind that dats have BIG mouths. I've seen mine open his mouth and it's amazing how disproportionatly large their mouth are, in reference to the rest of their body. Their mouths have an interestingly, powerful, vacuum-like suction motion that is used when eating.

keonigt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Hawaii
should i feed them frozen brineshrimp till they are like 3 inches?
then i start trying for pellets?

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
keonigt;3999849; said:
should i feed them frozen brineshrimp till they are like 3 inches?
then i start trying for pellets?

The sooner you start the better. The larger they get the harder it becomes to change their diet. JUst crush up pellets and throw it in along with the brineshrimp. Sinking carnivore or massivore work really well IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store