Why are these being sold????

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Man, I don't log on for a few days ,when I do I see this thread is still in full swing.
I think the answer is there is no answer. Education is obviously the key, especially since there is a wealth of information at everybody's fingertips these days. There will always be people who ignore the facts about what they want and that will never be stopped. I like the special order idea too but it also won't work 100%. Bans also won't work 100% and will have unforseen consequences so there not much anyone can do except try to educate people about proper conditions/housing on ALL fish and accept there will always be a small amount of fools who will do what they want anyway as there is in all walks of life.

Reactions: jaws7777

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm also curious as to where in EU they make one prove their tank size prior to purchasing tropical fish?

Reactions: BIG-G

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm aware of the animal welfare act in the UK, but never heard of the other. Thanks

Reactions: BIG-G

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I'm aware of the animal welfare act in the UK, but never heard of the other. Thanks
I have to search again which country, but somewhere Sweden, Netherlands, not sure right now. It was being discussed on a forum some years back, in fact in relation to clown loaches, the minimum tank requirement for the purchaser of those fish was mentioned as 500 litres.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I was referring to one of the Nordic countries in Europe but can't quite remember which one.

Animal Welfare Act in the UK applies to fish keeping too.

Here it is:
http://www.fbas.co.uk/FISH CARE and LAW.pdf
That looks to me to be a fish keeping club set up to set standards to all sorts of things related to their club rules and fish keeping as well as fish shows.
Not actually laws setup by a governing body.
Am I wrong in thinking that?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
That looks to me to be a fish keeping club set up to set standards to all sorts of things related to their club rules and fish keeping as well as fish shows.
Not actually laws setup by a governing body.
Am I wrong in thinking that?
A combination of government regulations and fish keeping club rules. Fish I think were included in the animal welfare act only around 2008. So it is criminal to mistreat fish, although I don't know how well the law works. I don't think it does work very well seeing that people mistreat fish even on public forums.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
A combination of government regulations and fish keeping club rules. Fish I think were included in the animal welfare act only around 2008. So it is criminal to mistreat fish, although I don't know how well the law works. I don't think it does work very well seeing that people mistreat fish even on public forums.
It would be hard to police. Even here in the US there are animal cruelty laws that would probably cover any animals. But I don’t think fish are covered and even if they are I don’t know how that the authority would just come in your house and inspect for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store