Why polys are addicting??

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Now you're making me want to buy my ornate faster ahhhhh
Me too lolz

Unfortunately he passed cause he got really sick(my tank was sick). but he was an angel. But they can be aggressive.

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Tell us how and why did you got addicted to poly?

For me its the prehistoric look they have, i love how the finlets goes up especially when they swim.
I like how they are pretty chill like they i hawaii:)

What about you guys:)
For me it started with their prehistoric looks and behaviors as well.

At first I didn't expect much in the way of personality, however after keeping a few species I was pleasantly surprised to find them oddly endearing. After 30+ years of fish keeping they were a fascinating departure, however I was in a job that required frequent moves and therefore limited tank size. For about 6 years kept delhezi, senegals, ornatapinnis, and lapradei, but sadly had to sell them when I was transferred to a new province. Been out of the poly game since then.

Recently retired and browsing my LFS, spotted some bichirs, and the old poly addiction took over my brain. Next thing I knew I woke up at home in the fish room, floating a nice 4" teugelsi in the 180g oddball tank. My son was with me and swears I drove home, but to me it's clearly another case of Polypterus mind control :)

O

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
xraycer xraycer , what got me into polys was my ornate. I thought he looked cool cause of the bright coloration and that he looked like a dragon. Well, it was the personality that sold me. Personally I like the active polys more and would prefer not to only keep driftwood in the tank lol. Well my ornate did like to rest, but was very active and friendly:

-he would watch us from the side of the tank whenever people were in the kitchen.
- he would play in and swim through the bubble strip stream
-he would wedge himself in weird positions: hang from plants, do the plank challenge behind the filter, rest on leaves,
-got along well with my cichlids. All though he would follow them and nudge them sometimes lol
- would play hide and seek with me as he looked out from his hide areas
-would get excited every time I came by the tank, and flutter his yellow and black pec fins. And swim up and down
- would explore the tank. and zoom around from place to place. Or coast around. How they swim is pretty adorable.
Thats cool clm08k. Yeah out of all my polys the ornate is the craziest. Always doing something nuts. Funny you mentioned about him watching you. We always say they are blind blah blah blah but i clearly get a response from them when i apporach the tank. Ornate always gets spooked and does the crazy dash and the dabola and congis always to the front with out fail. Unless they are stuffed from a big meal.
Now you're making me want to buy my ornate faster ahhhhh
Ornates are so underrated.

At first I didn't expect much in the way of personality, however after keeping a few species I was pleasantly surprised to find them oddly endearing. After 30+ years of fish keeping they were a fascinating departure, however I was in a job that required frequent moves and therefore limited tank size. For about 6 years kept delhezi, senegals, ornatapinnis, and lapradei, but sadly had to sell them when I was transferred to a new province. Been out of the poly game since then.

Recently retired and browsing my LFS, spotted some bichirs, and the old poly addiction took over my brain. Next thing I knew I woke up at home in the fish room, floating a nice 4" teugelsi in the 180g oddball tank. My son was with me and swears I drove home, but to me it's clearly another case of Polypterus mind control :)

O
Wow would be awesome to see some pics of your tanks and that monster teug. You should start a thread

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Thats cool clm08k. Yeah out of all my polys the ornate is the craziest. Always doing something nuts. Funny you mentioned about him watching you. We always say they are blind blah blah blah but i clearly get a response from them when i apporach the tank....
Agreed, my old group was very aware when I approached the tank. The delhezi and senegals were very responsive and begged like cichlids. The ornate would look at me with scant regard, and laps I always suspected were plotting against me.

O

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay

O
That is awesome story, i cant even think about any tank without any polys in it:)

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Thats cool clm08k. Yeah out of all my polys the ornate is the craziest. Always doing something nuts. Funny you mentioned about him watching you. We always say they are blind blah blah blah but i clearly get a response from them when i apporach the tank. Ornate always gets spooked and does the crazy dash and the dabola and congis always to the front with out fail. Unless they are stuffed from a big meal.
Me too, i dont think they are blind at all, maybe poor eye sight yes. Most my polys goes to the back of the tank when i turn on the light in the garage, even their lights are on, but how can they sense the the light turn out in the garage from the other side of the glass?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Endli looking great.

Hey now. I think we are pretty much even in the bad influence dept. Haha

I remember a certain comment that went something like this "great interactive peaceful fish" haha just joking i the love the big green machine
DMD123 DMD123

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store