Why we test (after a cycle is done)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
My point was about keeping fish in insufficient size tanks...
This fish went from a 20, to a 75, to 150, and now in a 300. If i have my way over the next yr or so he'll be getting even larger digs.
You shouldnt assume everyone is a reckless fish keeper lacking basic knowledge.

downloadfile-6.jpg

Screenshot_20171222-143409.png

Attachments

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Bichirs live up to 20 years and more. How old are yours that you are so sure about what you've done is right? Having said that, I've seen your tanks and they are well kept.

I agree.

Again, not sure what the confusion is about, maybe because of lack of experience or lack of understanding of water chemistry? Ammonia is in a tank 24/7 mate. Nitrification has consequences larger than build up of nitrates...I am honestly tired of repeating myself. Good luck with your fish keeping. I am glad it works for you well enough.

That's the entire point of these discussions, to raise a point, even if it is not immediately assimilated, it may stick eventually.
I wasn't confused by what you were saying, only where you were going with your position.

Nice to see large platys. There's as hard to find as large guppies.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The fish has grown and the the bio load surpasses the amount of media for bb to colonize. Adding additional established media solves ammonia and nitrite issues - more surface area more bb. Even if the tank is too small or over crowed additional media will control ammonia/nitrite.
Not it will not. Relatively small amount of media can grow very large BB populations in the presence of sufficient oxygen. It is more than likely the tank already has enough surface area to grow BB. But yes, in a scenario where one's media has gone anaerobic and killed of the existing BB, adding a healthy BB colony will help. The same will happen to the new media if the oxygen issue is not addressed.

So what your saying is my practice of keeping a fish in a tank smaller than required (grow out) and graduating him to larger tanks until its ready to join the group may be causing long term health issues ? Really because a few posts back you agreed that this is how you would handle new and smaller fish you-ve obtained . A little confused.
No, what I am saying is that if you keep a fish in an adequate size tank that can't support its current bioload, will lead to long term issues. When one is risking keeping a fast growing fish in small quarters, one never knows but one may get lucky....or not. I don't do luck with fish.

.... you took that as a way to imply disease and poor water quality was an issue.
Yes, agree. However, more often than not in these scenarios it becomes an issue.

You shouldnt assume everyone is a reckless fish keeper lacking basic knowledge.
I know you aren't but although you've got that fish out to bigger tanks on time, many will not manage so successfully. Many simply do not have the financial ability to react on time or ever take that fish out of that too small of a tank... It is way safer raising and keeping fish in sufficient size tanks that can accommodate them for life. Most fish grow all their life span so unless one keeps the fish in a suitable tank size to support its full growth, there's always risk involved.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Not it will not. Relatively small amount of media can grow very large BB populations in the presence of sufficient oxygen. It is more than likely the tank already has enough surface area to grow BB. But yes, in a scenario where one's media has gone anaerobic and killed of the existing BB, adding a healthy BB colony will help. The same will happen to the new media if the oxygen issue is not addressed.

No, what I am saying is that if you keep a fish in an adequate size tank that can't support its current bioload, will lead to long term issues. When one is risking keeping a fast growing fish in small quarters, one never knows but one may get lucky....or not. I don't do luck with fish.

Yes, agree. However, more often than not in these scenarios it becomes an issue.

I know you aren't but although you've got that fish out to bigger tanks on time, many will not manage so successfully. Many simply do not have the financial ability to react on time or ever take that fish out of that too small of a tank... It is way safer raising and keeping fish in sufficient size tanks that can accommodate them for life. Most fish grow all their life span so unless one keeps the fish in a suitable tank size to support its full growth, there's always risk involved.
Maybe maybe not. No one can assume what anyone has the means to do. One member who again is no longer openly active. Kept similar fish as mine in a 180 gal tank. These fish are currently in the double digits (age) and going strong. Not always one size fits all

Edit: i do agree with you water quality is a must in smaller grow out tanks. Testing is the best way to keep thing spiffy

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Bichirs live up to 20 years and more. How old are yours that you are so sure about what you've done is right? Having said that, I've seen your tanks and they are well kept.

I agree.

Again, not sure what the confusion is about, maybe because of lack of experience or lack of understanding of water chemistry? Ammonia is in a tank 24/7 mate. Nitrification has consequences larger than build up of nitrates...I am honestly tired of repeating myself. Good luck with your fish keeping. I am glad it works for you well enough.

That's the entire point of these discussions, to raise a point, even if it is not immediately assimilated, it may stick eventually.
"Ammonia is in a tank 24/7". What levels of ammonia are we talking here because my API test kit shows a big fat bright yellow 0ppm on my tanks. Is it such a tiny amount that the API kit can't pick it up?

Reactions: jaws7777

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Experiments have shown that exposure to un-ionized ammonia concentrations as low as 0.002 mg/L for six weeks causes hyperplasia of gill lining in salmon fingerlings and may lead to bacterial gill disease.

Lower concentrations of ammonia can cause a reduction in hatching success, reduction in growth rate and morphological development, and pathologic changes in tissues of gills, livers, and kidneys

Ammonia can act on a fish’s central nervous system and cause effects such as hyperventilation, hyperexcitability, and loss of equilibrium.

In rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), sublethal concentrations of ammonia can cause hyperexcitability, resulting in fish crashing into the sides of the tank in response to any disturbance

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Experiments have shown that exposure to un-ionized ammonia concentrations as low as 0.002 mg/L for six weeks causes hyperplasia of gill lining in salmon fingerlings and may lead to bacterial gill disease.

Lower concentrations of ammonia can cause a reduction in hatching success, reduction in growth rate and morphological development, and pathologic changes in tissues of gills, livers, and kidneys

Ammonia can act on a fish’s central nervous system and cause effects such as hyperventilation, hyperexcitability, and loss of equilibrium.

In rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), sublethal concentrations of ammonia can cause hyperexcitability, resulting in fish crashing into the sides of the tank in response to any disturbance

0.002ppm??? How depressing. We all pride ourselves on keeping our water tip top and even if we think we're doing a remarkable job at it we're still slowly killing our fish with levels that our test kits can't even pick up on!

I think it's safe to say that basically everyone of us is keeping our fish in a toilet. The only difference between all our toilets is that some people's toilets are bigger than others and a few people's toilets are slightly cleaner than others.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Debate aside.....
The point of the thread was to show how test numbers relate to real life.

I believe beyond that long awaited disappearance of ammonia and nitrite numbers it takes to withstand the excruciating duration of time it takes to cycle comes for many a new aquarist, after that, the first set of values are just numbers, 5ppm nitrate, 8.2 pH, etc etc, but they aren't just numbers, they are important because they show the health or non-health of the system.
I see many posts saying "I need to bring my pH down to 7, because my tank pH is 8.2".
Why????? because some generic fish site said 8.2 is bad......but actually No, 8.2 is not bad at all
depending on what fish you have.
Or......"my pH is 5, how do I bring it up?" although 5 may be bad if your tap water is pH 8, and your tank is filled with urine soup.

But if tap water is 5.5 and your tank is 5.0, that 5.0 pH is not bad.

It just means the aquarist needs to choose fish species carefully accordingly to the tap water
for the above, cardinals yes, Mbuna, probably not.

And although its easier and quicker to turn a 20 gallon tank to fish urine soup than a 200 gallon.
Its all relative, 10 neons might overwhelm a 20 gal, if not managed properly.
5 P-bass or 6 oscars, or 1 ill advised purchase of a pacu, could just as easily overwhelm that 200 gallon tank, without the proper water change regime.
In truth (to me) nothing under 200 gallons is in realty a large tank.
It may be too large for the room, or apartment, but
If you compare what fish live in, in nature in 200 or even 400 gallons, there are very few.
You can find mollies in drainage ditches, Betta in rice paddies, killifish in tiny streams, maybe some cichlid fry.
But nothing of any size, unless its a fish trapped and dying in a pond drying up during the dry season.
Even in some of the small Cenotes of Mexico, in some around 5000 gallons I've seen Astyanax tetras, and live bearers, but cichlids only show up when the Cenote is almost double that size.
This is why it is important to monitor your tank, especially when keeping fish that wouldn't be caught dead in small volumes of water, if you want them healthy.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
0.002ppm??? How depressing. We all pride ourselves on keeping our water tip top and even if we think we're doing a remarkable job at it we're still slowly killing our fish with levels that our test kits can't even pick up on!
It is species dependent. Salmon fingerlings would be known as one the most sensitive cases but literature points to many other fish we actually keep being as sensitive, especially fry of any species.

A measure of success should be the health and life span of the fish, not the colour of the test tube. By saying ammonia is 24/7 in a tank, what I mean is that ammonia is not a constant, it goes up and down and in a suitably stocked tank the BB will oxidize it efficiently, before the levels go up too high to affect fish. A bigger size tank will also dilute any potential rise. Spikes in ammonia may not always be evident but chronic exposure to such conditions will affect the fish enough for the fish keeper to take notice....as the fish gets sickly, stunted or die...By spikes I mean fluctuations which would be less than 0.25 ppm but high often enough to have long term effect on the fish. Anything measurable on the test tubes becomes acute toxicity, depending on pH and temperature.

Testing is just a help tool. It is not a guarantee that the water quality is good enough for the species and size of fish being raised but it is all we've got in the mean time, while we learn.

I tend to look at and evaluate my experience retrospectively, looking back at what I did and what it led to.

Reactions: Fishflyer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store