Why?

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Lots of advice isn't species specific. I own, or have owned, some species almost no one has owned. If I have a problem and only wanted feedback from those who have owned it, I wouldn't get any advice.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Lots of advice isn't species specific. I own, or have owned, some species almost no one has owned. If I have a problem and only wanted feedback from those who have owned it, I wouldn't get any advice.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just out of curiosity why do people that have never owned a fish that someones asking about respond to a question they ask about the species?
My personal opinion is when people ask a question, it's completely on them to ask the question in the manner they want it to be answered. If they only want responses from people who literally owned the fish, then that's how they should ask.

These are forums. The culture of forums is:

1) anyone can answer, and
2) if you want to try to censor that, then do so in the OP, and
3) anyone can answer

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Anyone can answer, but it depends on the question if they should.
If I ask what is the temperament or aggression like for a XXX. Then I would like for people that have kept XXX to answer.
Not just rewrite the answer that they read off of another website.
I have probably already read that anyway I'm looking for a little more in depth answer.

And without speaking for the OP, I think that's kinda what they probably had in mind with this topic.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I generally only respond to things I have first hand experience with.

With that said there is some cases where I will provide my opinion based on my own findings if it's something that can help the original poster.

Example. New user comes on here and is asking about fish compatibility. He states he has a 90g with a fh, midas, green terror, and a convict.

Most users here who have never owned these fish or kept them together can still offer this new user a ton of advice, most of which is going to be good to hear too.

My first suggestions would be, bigger tank required, watch out for aggression issues as it certain to happen in almost all cases. Have extra tanks ready to rehome or be ready to divide.

I don't need first hand experience to know that this combo is going to lead to high nitrates and alot of injured fish.

Get my point?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Get my point?
I do.

But, should you? There's the rub.

Is it okay if you only owned a 90 with a midas? Is it okay if you only owned a 55 with a convict and a green terror (like me)? Is it okay if you've only owned 5 other CAs in a 90?

Or should you respond only if you've owned a 90g with a fh, midas, green terror, and a convict?

Last edited:
Reactions: J. H. and kno4te

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
My personal opinion is when people ask a question, it's completely on them to ask the question in the manner they want it to be answered. If they only want responses from people who literally owned the fish, then that's how they should ask.

These are forums. The culture of forums is:

1) anyone can answer, and
2) if you want to try to censor that, then do so in the OP, and
3) anyone can answer
Just in case anyone missed this. Public forum is public forum

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would suggest to those who think they 'know" cichlids, and try to respond to whats this species queries, to join the Cichlid Room Companion, and then play the Match ID game.
It gives you a photo, and a number of species name choices. You have 30 seconds to match the appropriate species to the photo.
I have a hard time keeping my right answers at about the 25% mark.
Although I'm pretty good at Central Americans and Madagascans, I'm not so hot at South Americans, and even less competent at West Africans, and pretty much lame at Rift Lake Africans.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Common sense is common sense. Before getting a fish you should know the basic level knowledge of that fish. From there i wanna know knowledge from people that keep this fish and what worked best for them.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nothing really for me to add here as everything that needed to be said pretty much has been already so no point in me repeating anything.I'm just curious as to which species of fish you own or have owned that no one else has?

Reactions: tcav88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store