Wild caught pond UK

BigUpFishKeeper

Feeder Fish
Apr 30, 2017
So I had this idea to buy a small pond for my garden around 100 to 1000 litres (20 to 200 gallons)
And keep fish I catch in rivers and lakes like freshwater bullheads,sticklebacks and one carp or trout and a eel if it's legal to catch and keep European eels so is this legal and would you recommend it

Jonathan Robinson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2016
You have to be careful transporting coarse fish in the UK as it's illegal to move them from water to water.

That being said, years ago I had a small natural pond in my garden (13ft x10ft but only 18 inches deep) and I put 5 eels I netted into it. Three were tiny (5 inches maybe) and two were larger (8 inches and 10 inches, if memory serves). Very quickly I only had two eels, and I had the larger eel in there for 4 years or so. He was completely handtame, and loved worms. All you had to do was splash the water a little with your finger after dark and he's come up straight away and take as many worms as you could feed him. Lovely fish.

Regarding carp, you can buy them from many places around the UK, as well as most other coarse fish. Just look at eBay.

FishPondSealant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
You are going to purchase small pond then why you don't want to purchase fishes for the pond? Is there any reason? Ok If you have to face any problem with pond then must go for pondpro2000. Thanks

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
The deeper your pond is the more likely you can over winter fish. About 4 feet is as deep as you'll need. Anything smaller is actually more of a hassle to keep live fish in. I never like the ponds where at the end of the season I have to catch all the fish and then drain/dredge - it's just too much work for a pond that could be better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store