Wooden boards in aquarium?

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
Hello all,

I wanted a 3D tank background, but I don't really want to mess around with foam and cement. Instead I was thinking a wood background would look interesting. (I already have a tank with a rock and hardwood aquascape, I want something that looks different. Plus the wood boards would match my decor.)

So are there any easy to procure, aquarium safe wooden boards that I can readily get?
I understand why treated lumber is not an option. And I think pine would probably break down pretty quickly. I wouldn't be painting or varnishing the wood at all, only screwing it together.

Hopefully someone here has made a turtle dock out boards or something similar. Im excited at the prospect of a wooden back wall with moss and anubias and java ferns growing on it. If done properly it could look like an old sunken rowboat or something.

Thanks!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Excited over wood made me laugh. Why not have a wooden background outside the aquarium? Wood in the aquarium is going to be hard to sink.
This is what I was thinking...............uh, not the part about being excited over wood

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
You can't sink foam like most other backgrounds. And outside the tank it will quickly lose any appeal I think. Plus OP wanted it to be 3d

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
u can find some nice driftwood, cut it in 1/4"-1/2" slats or flat on one end and make ur bkg that way. id zip tie a bunch of pieces onto egg crate and "collage" that way... if ur adding plants also u could easily hide the egg crate over time.

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
u can find some nice driftwood, cut it in 1/4"-1/2" slats or flat on one end and make ur bkg that way. id zip tie a bunch of pieces onto egg crate and "collage" that way... if ur adding plants also u could easily hide the egg crate over time.
Thats a really solid idea but I had envisioned a background with straight lines and even pieces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store