Would These Fish Work in My 55 Gallon Show Tank?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Whoops. Accidentally posted that when it wasn’t finished. Can I start with daily 50% water changes, and then when I get the kit, monitor the quality and the cycle of the water? Any suggestions?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would not do daily water changes, it will take away the food (ammonia, nitrite, etc) that the bacteria needs and prolong the cycle a great deal. Better to just hold off on buying your fish and dose ammonia to complete a fishless cycle. Fish-in cycling can be done with a bacterial supplement, but works better IMO with established media. The supplements pretty much just shorten the cycle time, where the established media transfers an existing colony to the tank, allowing fish to be safe right away (mini cycle, adjustment of bacterial population still can happen)

For bacterial supplements, I personally would recommend dr. tim's one and only. I have used it many times and find that it brings your cycle to more like 2 week completion time.
When your tank can process 1ppm of ammonia all the way to nitrate in 24 hours, that is a good general guideline of when your tank is ready for fish.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Ok. Thanks Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . U nice ?. After this, I ain’t gonna have any money for fish. Lol. I am going to PetSMart today, and have noticed they have the API Master Test Kit. I will buy that their, and see if they have dr. Tim’s One and Only. Have a great day!

- The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Ok. Thanks Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . U nice ?. After this, I ain’t gonna have any money for fish. Lol. I am going to PetSMart today, and have noticed they have the API Master Test Kit. I will buy that their, and see if they have dr. Tim’s One and Only. Have a great day!

- The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow
I don't believe petsmart will. Seachem stability is one that most big box stores carry, not quite the same but should also shorten your cycle a bit.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami , I will look for that :). Any opinions on the combinations of the fish?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
See my first post in the thread, you may have some issues with gouramis being aggressive to each other, or it may be OK. I have seen it go both ways. You could give it a shot, or you could just get one gourami and go for some other small/mid sized fish. The other fish; tetras, cory cats, should be OK. I would swap your dojo loaches for zebra loaches.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Okee. Looking at Zebra Loaches now. I have gotten reviews from my friends, and Kuhli Loaches seem to be quite suicida ?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Now I am thinking Striped Kuhli Loach? Gourami Swami Gourami Swami , any feedback?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would avoid Kuhli loaches or similar shaped fish IF you do NOT have a tight fitting lid on your aquarium and also around any HOB filters.

Do you have an aquarium lid?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store