Your Favorite Things about your Local Fish Stores?

A

AquaAlex1993

The things I like about my LFS, the selection with 10 rows of tanks, they have a little of everything. Great selection of supplies as well. Also on all my trips so far (ok its only been 4, just got back into the hobby) I have not seen any dead flish in thier tanks.
That is good to hear, makes the trips to the LFS more fun.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Nothing local to me is any good. Just Walmart, 45mins away is a pet store and a petco. I'm not at all impressed with either of those.
2hrs away is the only fish store that I'm always dying to return to. Every time I go I still fail to look at every single tank. And I spend over an hour each time. I could spend all day admiring all the fish. Lots of more exotic types, rays, wild caught species, big adult fish from trade ins. They have an arrowana that is at least 2'. Such an impressive fish!

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
The local shop I complained about in the other thread...only redeeming factor is that they're always stocked with live feeders. If I ever get a fish that just won't eat anything I'll be able to get any sort of live food at that shop. Other then that...it's been 2 years since I brought anything other then one beta and live food.

But the shop I always go to...they're great. I can catch my own fish, get them to order fish for me, trade in fish (most fish), and I can always sit and bs with the owner about fish.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
But their layby period is twelve weeks which is cool, most retailers here do eight weeks so an extra four really helps for the more pricey items. :)
Both of mine will do it for livestock until I have the time and a car to get what I want :)

Where I used to live, the LFS smelled good. Really, like the way a fish tank smells when you're 3 inches from the water. Humid and musky. (Good musky.)

It had fish tanks, lizards, turtles, even some birds and tarantulas. But the tanks were clean (no dead fish) many had substrates, (no bare bottoms), and the only tank that was over crowded was the feeder tank.

I liked going there, even if I didn't always buy, because it was clear that the owner wanted the place to look the way a person would want their own place to look. Besides who doesn't like lizards, turtles and tarantulas?
I had a place almost like that, run by an old retired guy, but it just disappeared. I went away to the dorm, and two years later it was gone. :(
That store was one my favorite place in the world. I love the smell, too. He did have BB tanks on sponge filters for his community tanks and small goldfish, and did keep his bettas in bags, but most of his tanks had substrate and many where even aquascaped. He even QT'd his fish before selling them!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Both of mine will do it for livestock until I have the time and a car to get what I want :)
That's cool. This guy won't hold fish for any more than two weeks because he doesn't like keeping fish in the small display tanks for long periods of time if he can help it. But he will hold them for a fortnight if I ask and that's more than enough for me. :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
There are maybe 2 LFS' here that i really look forward to checking out mainly coz they are the two that specialize in stocking rarer fish no other stores seem to want to bring in...

I mean other than that, there are a few that have some amazing planted tank displays which are fun to watch evolve and grow over time... great if you need aquscaping ideas thats for sure...

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

There are maybe 2 LFS' here that i really look forward to checking out mainly coz they are the two that specialize in stocking rarer fish no other stores seem to want to bring in...

I mean other than that, there are a few that have some amazing planted tank displays which are fun to watch evolve and grow over time... great if you need aquscaping ideas thats for sure...
It's always great to see rare fish! :)

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ yeah, one store specializes in rarer monsters which is where i got my polyurandaons and have seen Channa Barcca sold a few fimes...

The other specializes in smaller fish and will have rare gobies and other small to middle sized fish...

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
My favorite lfs always has a great selection of fish that the other stores never or rarely have, great prices, fish are healthy, staff is very friendly and knowledgeable, great selection of dry goods and is locally owned. Downside is they are the furthest from me, almost an hour drive. But worth the trip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store