Your least favorite aquarium fish and why

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
There needs to be a huge size difference for a bichir to get a pictus or cl usually. A 6-8 inch sen can get much more than a baby loach or cat in most cases.
Even a 14-18 inch larger guy will have trouble with large cats or loaches.
Once we get into the big guys like endli or ornate…then we have a different issue, but it would be dumb to put one with something it can knowingly eat unless for food.
I had both a pim blochi and a CL with bichirs including a 14” Endlicheri
The pim was 6” and the CL 5”. They were tall bodied and/or thick and I think that’s the key

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I completely agree that bichirs have the potential to devour their tankmates and this makes them unsuitable for many aquariums, but many of these cases are rare. Typically when you see a fish being eaten, it was something irresponsible on the keepers part rather than being a problem with the fish.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Something Deadeye may want to know is that the size difference is surprisingly minimal in some cases. For example, Gourami Swami has had a 20 cm Senegal bichir go for a 12.5-15 cm pictus catfish: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/new-tank-owner-looking-to-upgrade.743603/page-6
They're apparently able to also bite chunks from other fish too, so just because a fish doesn't fit in a bichir's mouth doesn't mean it is safe.

Now, not every bichir will have as much of an appetite for tankmates as Gourami Swami's did (as Joshuakahan points out both on here and on that link). But that risk is nonetheless a very big one.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Yes, I just wanted to point out the sizes.

Reactions: Deadeye

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
1635884938200.png
I'm sure some have said this, but one of the worst might be a dyed version of the otherwise somewhat infrequently seen Parambassis ranga, (below) named the "painted glass fish."
1635885000976.png
Unlike GloFish, painted glass fish are made with harmful dye, instead of harmless jellyfish/sea anemone genes (a la GloFish.)
Obviously, this is very detrimental to their health.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store