Your least favorite aquarium fish and why

Daniacat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 1, 2021
I like otos and am curious about the Siamese Algae eater but the Chinese no thank you.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I think the only people who a golden Chinese algae eater would suit are those who like the color of golden weather loaches but have fish too aggressive to be tankmates with a weather loach.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m curious if anyone here actually has a full grown CAE

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I think the only people who a golden Chinese algae eater would suit are those who like the color of golden weather loaches but have fish too aggressive to be tankmates with a weather loach.
i had a golden algae eater, it was pretty aggresive when it got big. I had it with angels and it was always trying to suck on their flat bodies. Got huge too then one day it jumped out and that was that. Even though it was a nuisance fish I always liked it.

Reactions: Deadeye

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lol, you should get yourself a few dozen innocent guppies and keep them with your adorable little pictus cat. The things he would do to them...

When I was much younger I used live feeders a fair bit, but I always carefully selected the ones who looked a little "shifty". I could tell they were up to something, not as innocent as they tried to appear. The ones who really did seem innocent and happy-go-lucky were released into the wild to prance happily among the birds and flowers. As I got older, my vision got less acute and it became tougher to distinguish the innocent feeders from the ne'er-do-wells, so I gave up using feeders altogether. Just couldn't risk condemning an innocent fish to the maw of some nasty predator.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
The very point of the guilty and innocent metaphors (as I may have said before) was pet fish/aquatic animals who get knowingly placed into an environment where they'd most likely get eaten, with no real concern from the owner because they were cheap. There most likely are nano fish/invertebrate owners who hold comparable views to pictus catfish and loaches that I do on bichirs for comparable reasons, and as much as I like pictus catfish and loaches I honestly wouldn't blame them.

As for something else I had intended to add for a bit: Electric blue jacks. They are just so genetically poor.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
The very point of the guilty and innocent metaphors (as I may have said before) was pet fish/aquatic animals who get knowingly placed into an environment where they'd most likely get eaten, with no real concern from the owner because they were cheap. There most likely are nano fish/invertebrate owners who hold comparable views to pictus catfish and loaches that I do on bichirs for comparable reasons, and as much as I like pictus catfish and loaches I honestly wouldn't blame them.

As for something else I had intended to add for a bit: Electric blue jacks. They are just so genetically poor.
Except you got it backwards, those fish you’re referring to would most likely not got eaten. lol
The horse is dead and you’re still beating it like it owes you money

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
There needs to be a huge size difference for a bichir to get a pictus or cl usually. A 6-8 inch sen can get much more than a baby loach or cat in most cases.
Even a 14-18 inch larger guy will have trouble with large cats or loaches.
Once we get into the big guys like endli or ornate…then we have a different issue, but it would be dumb to put one with something it can knowingly eat unless for food.

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store