Zebra Obliquidens

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Sorry to hear that, but if all is happy again and she is fattening up, it won’t be long. When that egg tube starts protruding, get ready. I hope you get a giant mouthful of eggs!

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry to hear that, but if all is happy again and she is fattening up, it won’t be long. When that egg tube starts protruding, get ready. I hope you get a giant mouthful of eggs!
I hope so too!
I’ve been wondering if I should move her to her own tank once she is holding or just see how thing play out again. I’d really love some more of these guys.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
She is holding again. It’s been about a week.

So far so good, but I’m thinking of moving her out of the main tank.

Reactions: Mdoka and tlindsey

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
When i used to keep malawi cichlids only i stripped the females as soon as i saw them holding eggs. I used eggtumblers to hatch the fry i usually had 80-90% survival ratio on my frys. As long as you keep them in a seperate tank and feed em a mixed diet it should be fine with them. I dint know about this species but many african cichlids cant eat red mosquito larvae for some reason. I learned that the hard way when i started in the hobby after 10 years hiatus with malawis. I lost ****loads of cichlids before i figured out it was my feeding habits that killed them. So i started to do my own food for them with spinache peas shrimp carrot astaxanthine and gelatin.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
When i used to keep malawi cichlids only i stripped the females as soon as i saw them holding eggs. I used eggtumblers to hatch the fry i usually had 80-90% survival ratio on my frys. As long as you keep them in a seperate tank and feed em a mixed diet it should be fine with them. I dint know about this species but many african cichlids cant eat red mosquito larvae for some reason. I learned that the hard way when i started in the hobby after 10 years hiatus with malawis. I lost ****loads of cichlids before i figured out it was my feeding habits that killed them. So i started to do my own food for them with spinache peas shrimp carrot astaxanthine and gelatin.
Thanks for the tip. I know they can be prone to bloat so I don’t feed much meaty food. Mostly a herbal blend plus they eat all my string algae and spiral snails.
These guys are roughly around two weeks old/from spawning. Not sure how you age these guys since I don’t know when they technically hatched.
I made a homemade tumbler with a bubbler. How long should I keep them in it? Just till they absorb their sacs? This is all new to me.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Those looks not more then a day or two old since their eggsack is quite large and they are small. I would keep them until they are freswimming. At least almost a week IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store