Has Anybody Installed Windows 10 ?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Not sure what this implies but my new windows 10 computer is broken. It worked ok for two days and yesterday I could no longer get internet access. Today I spent a long time on the phone with a tech from the manufacturer. He eventually got it to function in "safe" mode and by my using an ethernet cable. He was able to take control of the computer remotely. After a long session he said he could not fix the issues. I will be returning it to the store.

I do not know how the computer became corrupted. The tech found a "fake" Bing that was downloaded into the computer. I did not knowlingly do that. I am at a loss how this can happen as the computer was supposed to have McAfee in operation. At any rate the computer is corrupted and could not be made to interact with the router any longer.

The first thing the tech tried to get me to do was to replace my router. My old computer is working off the router and my brother's smart phone worked off it, so that was not the issue. Had those two things not been in play, I would have a new router that I do not need.

I need to decide about getting a replacement computer that is the same or just a refund. I wonder how to prevent another new computer from having the same type problems. I did nothing different than I do on this old computer and only did it for a few sessions.

Anyway, I had thought the windows 10 is supposed to be better protected.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
It is, but the Windows Defender would have been turned off by the McAfee, so you were running with worse protection. The fake Bing probably came bundled with another program that was downloaded, a lot of programs now hide 1-3 other programs in them if you aren't careful.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It is, but the Windows Defender would have been turned off by the McAfee, so you were running with worse protection. The fake Bing probably came bundled with another program that was downloaded, a lot of programs now hide 1-3 other programs in them if you aren't careful.
Hello; As I will be getting a replacement computer, how can this state of risk be avoided?

Also. Is there a practical way to avoid these unintended down loads?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Uninstalling the trial should automatically renable the built in Windows protection, assuming it's working properly. Otherwise it should be in Security, but not sure off the top of my head if it's in Settings or Control Panel now in 10. They've moved a lot of things around even from 8.1.

Usually when downloading a program, when it gives an option, I choose Custom Installation to see what else is being installed. This presumes you know what you are looking for. Downloading programs from a 'safer' site like Cnet.com also helps.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I plan to return the broken computer today and may get a replacement. What proceedures can I do with a new computer to prevent any possible contamination? To be more specific, what can I do before getting on the internet or adding software?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I'd recommend a good AV/Internet Security ... Kaspersky, Webroot, heck even Norton would be several levels above McAfee. Only download from safe sites. Avoid high risk sites like Facebook. Even then, now a days, it's hard to not get something at some point.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'd recommend a good AV/Internet Security ... Kaspersky, Webroot, heck even Norton would be several levels above McAfee. Only download from safe sites. Avoid high risk sites like Facebook. Even then, now a days, it's hard to not get something at some point.
Hello; Thanks for the reply. The issue with the new computer with regard to the McAfee has to do with the legal page that comes up when the computer is first turned on. You must accept all that is written before the computer can be used. One portion included language that automatic updates for McAfee is agreed to. You have to give McAfee 30 days notice in order to opt out of the automatic update portion. I learned after accepting the terms that the new computer is loaded with a 30 day trial sample of McAfee, so......

I have a McAfee subscription on the old computer good for 87 more days at the time with the option to use it on two more machines. I was going to use it on the new computer, but..................

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I drove the 60 + miles to the store to return the new computer today. The tech there tried to get it to work and could not. All told there have been at least three different opinions as to what the problem may be. One being issues with the new operating system. I have no ideal and the folks I have interacted with do not know how to fix the issues.

They had an identical replacement computer in stock. That the techs of both the computer company and the retail store were scratching their heads led me to decide to simply get my money back.

A side note. When I purchased the computer last week my credit card was denied. That turned out to be a fraud safe guard that kicked in as the purchase was outside my normal card useage. I had the cash on hand and used that. Today I asked for cash back and had to cool my heels in Knoxville TN for several hours before they came up with the cash, mostly twenties. I know now to call the card company when the purchase is over $500. What a world, a large store in a big city cannot come up with $700 for about four hours.

I am now in the camp of those who will wait a while before getting Windows 10. I am confident Windows will fix any issues, if indeed, my problems were in some way related. At least one fellow at the store today thought it is a bad card of some sort. At any rate they have the faulty computer and I have my money. I did waste a lot of time and make an extra drive this week, so I guess no one came out ahead.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I am a fan of windows 10 so far.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
We picked up a new desktop with Win 10 the other day. It seems to be a mix of Win 7 and Win 8.

It's seems they were trying to force it to be different.

They removed the c drive from the start menu. I had to do some digging to find it and copy&paste a shortcut to desktop. So that got a thumbs down.

They removed the control panel from the start menu. Had to do a search for that. Another thumbs down.

They made the screen saver function harder to get to and didn't introduce any new screensavers.

I also have not seen a link to the network and printers.

They also removed (or buried) the customized function for the icons on right side of the tray bar.

To be honest the only the only 3 benefits I do see is the 'new' feel to it. The fact that Microsoft will support it longer then 7 and last...even though it's a desktop...it does come with a built in Wifi... which may have come from Dell and not Microsoft. The computer's version is only half the speed I get compared to an aftermarket Wifi adaptor.

Overall not too impressed. My final opinion is they just decided to move things around and slap and new Windows label on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store