Has Anybody Installed Windows 10 ?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not going to touch it for a another month or so. I hate 8.1 but going let the bugs get worked out first.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
If you have any questions in particular let me know. Win 10 feels pretty sleek and polished aside from some of the unwanted features and the setting difficulties. I think if you wait a couple months microsoft will solve the problems or the software wizards will solve them.
thanks.. i am going to wait... can't you uninstall programs that you don't need after you put wins 10 in.......... ?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I found the apps bundled with win 10 took a somewhat technical and tedious work around, and I haven't managed to get rid of them all quite yet. Realistically you can unpin them from the start menu and you'll likely forget about them all together, I'm just a bit anal retentive about this kind of stuff. I think I read that if you uninstall it the apps can come back in updates and stuff so to permanently be rid of them is a bit of a headache which led to the workaround.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Only issue I had with it was when watching videos, YT or FB, the video would freeze, show rainbow distorted colors and wavy, then it would be fine, then go back to the rainbow colors, so I went back to 7. Anyone wanting to install, you don't need to wait. Just download the MS tool and then it will download for you and install as normal.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Please allow me to ask a question related to a computer I bought yesterday with the windows 10 already installed. Not a windows 10 question however. I turned on the computer for the first time last night.

The initial pages of legal definitions came up and I decided to read thru them before hitting the accept button. I got to a part in all caps talking about how I was to agree to automatic renewal being turned on for software that has a regular fee peroid. I called the support number and got a not so useful answer. This apparently applies to McAfee and maybe to Windows office 360. I do not want to have any automatic updates enabled that apparently I will be agreeing to pay for. I plan to use a regular version of Windows Office. I also have been buying the McAfee software each year at a local store and installing it myself.

Questions; Do I have this right or am I mistaken?

Is there a way to deal with these automatic updates, as in turn them off, after i hit the accept button. I cannot do anything with the new computer until I hit the accept button.

Thanks if you can shed light and I hope this does not move the thread away from the main topic.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I've not heard of this and I haven't added any payment info, nor would I know how they would store it. I don't think McAfee is bundled with Win 10 either. A quick google search indicates that this is a feature of the microsoft store, which I think I've uninstalled. I'm under the impression that if you obtain software like McAfee normally you won't have a problem.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I've not heard of this and I haven't added any payment info, nor would I know how they would store it. I don't think McAfee is bundled with Win 10 either. A quick google search indicates that this is a feature of the microsoft store, which I think I've uninstalled. I'm under the impression that if you obtain software like McAfee normally you won't have a problem.
Hello; McAfee may not be a part of windows 10, but is apparently installed on this new computer for some time peroid. The name McAfee was in several places in that part of the legal notices.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Uninstalling the trial versions of Office 365 and "Swiss Cheese" aka McAfee should preclude them from doing any sort of renewal. Don't be surprised if Office moves to strictly subscription based from now on though. Some computers come with a free for a year version of Office 365. As long as you uninstall it before the renewal, should be fine.

Most name brands add a trial version of either McAfee or Norton, so while not part of Windows, it will still be on most non custom systems.

Last edited:

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Uninstalling the trial versions of Office 365 and "Swiss Cheese" aka McAfee should preclude them from doing any sort of renewal. Don't be surprised if Office moves to strictly subscription based from now on though. Some computers come with a free for a year version of Office 365. As long as you uninstall it before the renewal, should be fine.

Most name brands add a trial version of either McAfee or Norton, so while not part of Windows, it will still be on most non custom systems.
Hello; I read thru the pages again, it took some time and was not any fun. The section I was concerned about was about McAfee for sure. I found these explainations. First the auto renewal can be turned off if you give McAfee notice 30 days before the expiration date. The subscription can be terminated by erasing the software. So these two items seem to have answered my questions.

Back to windows 10 discussion. I will add comments as a brand new user if I can get thru the setup pages of the new computer. The next setup page had to do with picking an internet connection. I have to pick between { HideYoKidzHideYo WiFi } and {HideYoKidzHideYo WiFi - guest} I have no knowledge of this and which to pick. I will try to look it up on my old computer.

Thanks for the answers. Sorry for the tangentfrom windows 10.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Got my first look at windows 10 this morning. My first impression is that it will take a while to get comfortable with it. The look is completely different from what I am use to. My next goal is to set up an internet connection. The computer recognized my wireless router but I will need to work out what the code is from five years ago. This process of setting up and learning a new computer is why I waited over eight years to get a new computer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store