Has Anybody Installed Windows 10 ?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
You're good for a few hundred installs then, I think one will suffice though. I run a program that makes win 10 run a bit more similarly to windows 7, so I'm not actually sure how the new format is. If it's anything like windows 8.1 then it's quite tablet/touch oriented but I've heard it's quite an improvement over 8.1. I'm not sure how the upgrade system works, but I think you have almost a year to upgrade before the offer is no longer available. It might be worth picking up at some point so that you'll have a more future compatible OS, but you certainly don't need to rush it. I'll do some fact checking when I get a chance to sit down at my computer and hopefully give you more valuable and reliable info. It's quite tedious to look this stuff up mobily.

Reactions: Red Devil

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Awesome................... i am in no rush..since i work on my pc i do not want to be down with issues.. i will wait to hear from you...........thanks again

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
After a bit of research I found some things out. You have one year from 6/29 (approx date) to upgrade to windows 10, at which point you have it for the device permanently. No fees after the year, but I'm unsure of the cost if you do not upgrade. If you update anytime between now and 6/29/16 you should be fine.

I'm finding a number of annoying things currently. A microsoft account is required to use the AI helper called "Cortana". How useful the AI is I haven't fiddled with much yet but it seems quite similar to the Iphone's "Siri". If you connect your microsoft account you will be required to use a pin/password to log in to your account on startup which for me is annoying, a fix exists but it's not in the plain settings which I find odd.

The start menu isn't bad except for all the bloatware like candy crush and minecraft that I will never touch, I will be using Classic Shell to change it into the windows 7 start menu because I find it more convenient and more accessible. The start menu is more sleek and the settings feel a bit more simple to use, at what useability it cost I haven't confirmed yet. The action center seems quite nice, it gives you notifications on what might cause problems and it's super easy to access.

It also comes with a microsoft program that will allow you to back things up to a cloud network, which means anywhere you can connect to the internet you should realistically be able to access those files. I save everything on a local hard drive that I can carry around with me, but I bet it could be convenient if you keep lists or tons of info and want to access it reliably.

I haven't had much time to use it yet, I've been busy and only downloaded it yesterday. I will keep playing around with it and will report back anything, good or bad, that I find worth mentioning. If your comfortable with win 7 I don't think it will be too hard to transition to win 10, but if you don't want to deal with the learning curve and some functionality quirks it would definitely be worthwhile to wait until you have time to learn it and when microsoft makes it a bit more accessible. For win 8 or 8.1 users I would upgrade, it seems like a slightly better all round OS.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Having been doing almost nothing but Win 10 upgrades at work since last Wed, there are a lot of install issues. Woefulrelic gave a great summary that I agree with, so I will only add if you are on Win 7, I'd wait to upgrade until they get some of the bugs fixed. If you have Win 8, then it's worth it immediately to get rid of ME 3.

Edit: I always tell customers to use a local account, and not log into their computer with the microsoft account log in. Microsoft Accounts get their passwords cracked extremely frequently, it's just not as secure.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I think local account is the way to go, I will probably end up switching back when I get done figuring out that the AI is something I won't ever really use. For now I intend to mess around and figure out how to make win 10 my own. I would likely recommend not using the microsoft accounts for anything too financially oriented, or company secret type stuff. Microsoft is pushing the pin code instead of password though.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Yes, because a small amount of numbers is ultra secure. :rolleyes:

But yes, not using Microsoft emails for anything financial is very good advice Woe.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
My irritation is at Microsoft, not you Woeful. In case that wasn't clear.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Oh yeah for sure, I was going to make a snarky comment about how its harder to brute force 4 numbers than it is to force 14 mixed digits, but then I got lazy half way through and didn't finish lol.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
thanks for all the feedback.. i am waiting for the time being.. excited to get it.. but wary to get it too soon.. i would rather hear things i need to know than dash in......

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
If you have any questions in particular let me know. Win 10 feels pretty sleek and polished aside from some of the unwanted features and the setting difficulties. I think if you wait a couple months microsoft will solve the problems or the software wizards will solve them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store