Silurus Merdionalis thread

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
update as of 9/17:
The wels was doing very well or shall I say wel. But in all seriousness he’s been eating and water has been cooling. But funny enough he went from a fish tank to a temporary residence in a trash can. (Yes he is still alive)
tonight I was working rearranging some tanks, pretty routine for me as I usually move 75’s and heavier with not much issue. But tonight I wanted to put flooring under his tank, and styrofoam directly under his tank as winter is coming and I need the tanks I have to retain as much heat as possible. Wellll… I dropped the tank! Immediately l threw him into the trash can that his water had been siphoned into. So now I am gonna upgrade. Hopefully he is fine and i won’t see him till tmr night due to other circumstances.. so hopefully we can all hope he will be a okay. Tomorrow I’m gonna run and grab a new tank.
I had my somehow jump out of my tank. He was borderline jerky when I got to him. I'd estimate ~20 minutes or so on the floor. Put him back in and he's been thriving ever since. Very resilient species .

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
Haven't been able to find much online about this species, but does anyone know if they will become territorial with wallagonia (Wallagonia micropogon)?

Been eyeballing a golden online but can't even determine if $600 for a 7 - 7.5" is even a good deal lol. If they are not territorial towards similar bodied cats was going to put him with my wallago to add a nice splash of color and they would share the same pond full grown.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
They are pretty aggressive. And they will most definitely attack your wallago. $600 is kind of a bit much, I’m guessing Predatory which has the ones that are $595? If you’re in the US contact Wes and see if he has any more baby albino ones.

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
They are pretty aggressive. And they will most definitely attack your wallago. $600 is kind of a bit much, I’m guessing Predatory which has the ones that are $595? If you’re in the US contact Wes and see if he has any more baby albino ones.

Yeah pred fins, which I have never ordered from and was kind of 50/50 after reading some reviews. Wes's at least on his last sheet are about half the size which would be better anyways as it would put everyone else as a distinct advantage, and save almost 300! Thanks man!

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Yeah pred fins, which I have never ordered from and was kind of 50/50 after reading some reviews. Wes's at least on his last sheet are about half the size which would be better anyways as it would put everyone else as a distinct advantage, and save almost 300! Thanks man!
Of course bro. I think predatory fins has its use in the hobby but if Wes or underground or Jason’s plecos has the same fish, I’d rather go through them. Predatory’s wels is also golden not albino like Wes, so PF theirs are yellow where as Wes’ is true albino. I don’t talk down on companies especially ones I’ve dealt with countless times, but for my needs I prefer Wes (regarding reviews). Can’t wait to see if you pull the trigger!

Reactions: Logan487

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Hahah….
So the gold is more like a fluorescent kind of yellow and the white is like pinkish white. They are closer looking to something like what Vik has in his Euro wels just add some more yellow

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I thought I saw some Chinese wels aka Silurus meridionalis normal colored and inexpensive, like $50, recently, but can't remember where.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store