Silurus Merdionalis thread

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Update as of 10/6/2023
the wels is looking good. At this point I’m not sure if his tail will fully recover as it keeps getting ripped. He has grown again. In his new tank, he has grown. He swims much more in the water column. He has been much more active. I am debating what to do over winter as where I am I expect it to get colder soon. These are cold hardy fish but I can’t risk anything. This guy has been in my care for almost a year now!

IMG_5048.jpeg

IMG_5047.jpeg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Update as of 10/6/2023
the wels is looking good. At this point I’m not sure if his tail will fully recover as it keeps getting ripped. He has grown again. In his new tank, he has grown. He swims much more in the water column. He has been much more active. I am debating what to do over winter as where I am I expect it to get colder soon. These are cold hardy fish but I can’t risk anything. This guy has been in my care for almost a year now!

View attachment 1527298

View attachment 1527299
IME 70-72 is still pretty “normal” for them in the winter. My guy is unheated with cold water autodrip and i stay at 68-72 at the lowest temps of the year. Temperament and feeding are the same as my summer temps of 74-76. I witnessed more fluctuations in feeding and activity with euro wels and colder temps surprisingly.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
IME 70-72 is still pretty “normal” for them in the winter. My guy is unheated with cold water autodrip and i stay at 68-72 at the lowest temps of the year. Temperament and feeding are the same as my summer temps of 74-76. I witnessed more fluctuations in feeding and activity with euro wels and colder temps surprisingly.
That’s very interesting. He’s in about 70 degree water right now so I don’t want it to really go past 64ish degrees. Let’s see how he does. He hasn’t fasted for me at all except when I moved him the first time.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
That’s very interesting. He’s in about 70 degree water right now so I don’t want it to really go past 64ish degrees. Let’s see how he does. He hasn’t fasted for me at all except when I moved him the first time.
Are u in a garage? Might try to wrap the tank in insulation foam… twin wall polycarb lids help the cause as well to trap heat from filters/pumps 💀🤙

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Are u in a garage? Might try to wrap the tank in insulation foam… twin wall polycarb lids help the cause as well to trap heat from filters/pumps 💀🤙
Indeed I am. Yes I may. I already insulated the bottom with a special styrofoam. I will def take you up on your recommendation.

Logan487

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
North Carolina
I'll try to nab a better one tomorrow, they got kinda mad when going from blues to full spectrum in 3 seconds lol.

I let the 8 year old feed them today, he might of went a bit overboard with the massivore pellets lol...

20231008_211815.jpg

Reactions: surfermike915
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store