Silurus Merdionalis thread

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Are u in a garage? Might try to wrap the tank in insulation foam… twin wall polycarb lids help the cause as well to trap heat from filters/pumps 💀🤙
All my tanks pretty much are except my breeder tanks and qt, I don’t have one big heater for the garage just two small heating units. Eventually once Im done school I want to run HVAC out there. But my 1000, 220’s 180 and 75’s are all being heated individually. What should I do since I am in the northeast and it gets rather cold. I put thick styrofoam under most of the tanks but any more advice? Thanks

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
IME 70-72 is still pretty “normal” for them in the winter. My guy is unheated with cold water autodrip and i stay at 68-72 at the lowest temps of the year. Temperament and feeding are the same as my summer temps of 74-76. I witnessed more fluctuations in feeding and activity with euro wels and colder temps surprisingly.
I've had asotus do fine in temps <40F for several months, and meridionalis in <50F for a few days (was the result of a recent accident- still beating myself up over it, but the fish seems fine, thankfully). Asotus don't seem to eat much at all during the cold, but still remain slightly active (will cruise about amicably maybe once or twice a day). Lots of South Korean sellers (typically for food) seem to keep them in ~50-68F temps intentionally, I'm assuming it's because they're not too fond of heat. Don't know about meridionalis, as I've never kept mine in cold temps for long, but I've heard of them being able to overwinter in deep koi ponds even when ice forms on top. Their southernly range probably would indicate greater sensitivity to cold, though.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
I've had asotus do fine in temps <40F for several months, and meridionalis in <50F for a few days (was the result of a recent accident- still beating myself up over it, but the fish seems fine, thankfully). Asotus don't seem to eat much at all during the cold, but still remain slightly active (will cruise about amicably maybe once or twice a day). Lots of South Korean sellers (typically for food) seem to keep them in ~50-68F temps intentionally, I'm assuming it's because they're not too fond of heat. Don't know about meridionalis, as I've never kept mine in cold temps for long, but I've heard of them being able to overwinter in deep koi ponds even when ice forms on top. Their southernly range probably would indicate greater sensitivity to cold, though.
You are correct. Asostus have a much more northern range compared to the “southern catfish” as it is called. They can probably handle spring summer and fall in my pond, but def not winter as we see temps plummet to ~10 degrees in extreme cases. Usually around 30-40 degrees.
On another topic, I remember us all talking about Mr. Vincent Wu’s big merdionalis as being the largest in the US, but I have found another large one, not quite the magnitude of wu’s but in a couple years maybe. Looks like a mini version of viktor’s Glanis and i love it. Here he is. This guy is from OFR. They have two. This one is by far bigger. He looks awesome. If you want a look he’s at the 8:35 time stamp in their latest video.

IMG_5188.jpeg

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Water is probably 60-68 with daily fluctuation. He is actually skittish and it’s not that his tank is too small. I see him swim around a lot once he realizes I am not a threat. He is starting to hit more top water foods. He is becoming a beast.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That's a good-looking fish, at least to a cat fan like me! :) The natural colour variety is at least as attractive as the albino or golden ones.

How's his tail fin doing? I find myself checking out the caudal on every pic I see of this species, and more often than not it shows some kind of damage. It's starting to mess with my OCD. :)

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
That's a good-looking fish, at least to a cat fan like me! :) The natural colour variety is at least as attractive as the albino or golden ones.

How's his tail fin doing? I find myself checking out the caudal on every pic I see of this species, and more often than not it shows some kind of damage. It's starting to mess with my OCD. :)
Thank you for your kind words. As for his tail, it is still healing. Most likely won’t ever heal completely. I’m just focused on giving him the best water I can. His tail has been messed up for some months now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store