Black or Silver?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Having never owned a black, I can't speak to their personalities. I have thoroughly enjoyed raising my silvers though.

The first was likely my favorite. Got very large, VERY quickly and was essentially hand fed every night. I lost him when he jumped.

The second was a rescue who I watched go from broken, fin-less mess to a beautiful 18" beast with gorgeous coloring. I gave him to a friend with a larger tank than my 180.

This third one I purchased when he was 2" long. He's now well over a foot and developing a personality. He will accept food from my hand, but he's just as likely to try and bite a finger.

Bottom line, I've always loved my Silvers - despite their droopy eyes and occasional psychopathic behavior, they are among my favorite fish to keep. I'm sure you won't be upset if you decide to go the silver route.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Black arowana also develop drop eye, so just get whatever you like and comfortable with.
Why do people always say this the chances are very slim if you look around the net you find very very few black aro with drop eye yet nearly all silvers have it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
They're both awesome, but if you go with a black, I would order an established one at least 7 or 8inches..imo, it's worth the extra $ for ones a bit bigger..small blacks now seem to run you around $100 where years ago I could get them for around $30..they're more fragile than young silvers so it's a pretty steep gamble now imo

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Why do people always say this the chances are very slim if you look around the net you find very very few black aro with drop eye yet nearly all silvers have it
"The chances are very slim," "very very few" still mean it can happen, unless you're in denial. How can you possibly tell the OP that it won't happen to his future fish? If you take your time and read his post, he'll spend more money and effort to get a black, instead of a silver, so if it got DE, it would be a huge disappointment. Of course, you won't give a damn, because you won't have to see the fish, or the money come out of your pocket. Just like how can you possibly said that one not being truthfully when he says DE doesn't bother him? Your choice of fish doesn't represent others. What an irresponsible, self-center individual you are!

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I have a silver and love it's personality! It does have DE in one eye, which doesn't bother me. They do have multiply personalities it seems. Sometimes it's normal, other times crazy and weird. But gets more "normal" the older it gets. When it was younger 5"-10" range it did all kinds of weird Crap. But still an awesome fish to keep

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
"The chances are very slim," "very very few" still mean it can happen, unless you're in denial. How can you possibly tell the OP that it won't happen to his future fish? If you take your time and read his post, he'll spend more money and effort to get a black, instead of a silver, so if it got DE, it would be a huge disappointment. Of course, you won't give a damn, because you won't have to see the fish, or the money come out of your pocket. Just like how can you possibly said that one not being truthfully when he says DE doesn't bother him? Your choice of fish doesn't represent others. What an irresponsible, self-center individual you are!
I could get hit by a car but the chances are much slimmer if I don't play on the highway

Humans can get drop eye but the chances are very slim but it can happen

I think you would find as many black aro with drop eye as you would find silvers without it to tell the truth you would find less black aro with drop eye than you would find silvers without it

Based on that if you want a aro without drop eye get a black if you like drop eye and you want a aro with it get a silver

It's all down to what you like if you want a more bulky bigger aro with drop eye get a silver
If you want a slimmer more slender aro with hardly any chance of drop eye get a black

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
IME the black is worth the extra effort and cost. If you are cofident in your aquarist skills, I recomend raising a baby black. Very rewarding experience

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I've never even seen a black aro. Not a single fish store has had One in. I've seen an albino aro and its pretty awesome

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I rarely see Black Aros for sale in Hawaii. Silvers are always available and I find them quite attractive. I recently bought one that seems to have a pretty good disposition. It is about 7 inches now and is does not seem jumpy or skittish. I'm just hoping it won't develop drop eye. I know a guy who has two 3ft Silvers that don't have drop eye, so there's always hope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store