Status
Not open for further replies.

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Fingerling;3768282; said:
Catching only the 1" fish in the wild instead of the bigger ones would mean that there would be a sufficient amount of adult specimens in the wild for that can spawn to meet hobbyist demand reason being dats take years to sexually mature. Its also a good way to keep their numbers sufficient in the wild to prevent overfishing of them which might lead a similar ban to the Siamese tiger datnoid. ( my own opinion )

There are no breeding records of dats in Singapore from what i know. Prices are low now probably due to season. Better stock up on them now!!!:nilly::nilly::nilly:
Great ideas there and if only more collectors had that set in their mind then so many fish wouldn't be endangered today. Unfortunately, some people are still very arrogant and only trying to collect what makes them the most money in the short term rather than think ahead for the future since many people's incomes are dependant on the fish trade and there is a higher demand for larger datnoid's than smaller ones.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
willtang3000;3768199; said:
This is more logic than evidence, but why would suppliers be wasting all their time and energy catching 1" fish in the wild that so many mfker's have? Surely its more economical to catch the larger fish.

here's a question for you, why do sml/baby IT's only become abundant once a year for a month or 2, i'm sure it's not because the captive breeders only bother their arses to breed them around this time.

baby fish/fry will always congregate when young as it's safer in numbers and this makes lots of small fish easy to catch.

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
DiXoN;3769907; said:
here's a question for you, why do sml/baby IT's only become abundant once a year for a month or 2, i'm sure it's not because the captive breeders only bother their arses to breed them around this time.

baby fish/fry will always congregate when young as it's safer in numbers and this makes lots of small fish easy to catch.
Don't forget that they could be seasonal breeders.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
willtang3000;3771309; said:
Don't forget that they could be seasonal breeders.
to get the volume they need for fish that will wholesale for a $1 or so to make a viable breeding set up they would most likely be bred using hormones so seasonal breeding would not make sense. there is not enough money in it to have a breeding pond set up for a fish that only breeds once a year.

the hobby has yet to see any real evidence of captive bred Datnioides, it must be a state secret of something if there is. don't get me wrong if they wanted to captive breed datnioides i'm sure they could but i'm also pretty sure they won't. it's not commercially viable when they can go and drop in a net somewhere and catch hundreds in one go.

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
Then that does bring me back to my original question of why don't they just catch the larger specimens? Obviously I know its easier to catch the congregating fry now, but why not make the extra effort and catch the larger fish with a little bit more effort. The greed of some collectors make it seem impossible to believe that preserving breeding specimens is a factor.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I don't get how catching larger species helps. They will not breed in captivity when they are caught. Fish that lay large amount of eggs usually means that the fry have a very slim chance to make it to adulthood and/or breeding size. So the larger ones in the wild that are already breeding should be left to continue to breed.

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
So the collectors can sell them for a larger sum of money due to the higher demand and I guess its easier to hold a few larger fish than hundreds of smaller fish.

I agree with what you're saying about conserving the breeding stock but do some collectors really care? Thats why the galaxy rasbora and the denisoni barb are currently having problems in the wild as well as habitat destruction.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Regulations...there are probably regulations on the size they can collect. The Galaxy Rasboras were a newly discovered fish which weren't regulated in time. Fortunately, they have been bred in captivity.

willtang3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
I doubt there are any regulations as the media haven't published anything unlike the galaxy rasbora and dats are not on any red lists that I know of. I hope there will be some if not already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store