Electric Blue Acara Fry :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How long until we are supposed to switch to Daphnia and flake food? I been giving them crushed flake and pellets for weeks, but I don't want to keep doing the frozen-thing for longer than i have too. rather go dried foods 100%

If they are eating the crushed flake and pellets, I would most definitely eliminate the frozen foods. I'm feeding a high protein crushed food, alternate with micro woms and the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
If they are eating the crushed flake and pellets, I would most definitely eliminate the frozen foods. I'm feeding a high protein crushed food, alternate with micro woms and the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.
So just keep the baby brine shrimp for the clutch that just hatched on Sunday night? I imagine the flake and pellet is much higher in proteins, but the 2 month old fry still swarm the HECK out of the BBS-cubes.....is that like kids eating candy for dinner if you let them and they need to be told "No, eat your yummy dry-ass crunchy balls of fishmeal...................................I mean, eat your vegetables".

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So just keep the baby brine shrimp for the clutch that just hatched on Sunday night? I imagine the flake and pellet is much higher in proteins, but the 2 month old fry still swarm the HECK out of the BBS-cubes.....is that like kids eating candy for dinner if you let them and they need to be told "No, eat your yummy dry-ass crunchy balls of fishmeal...................................I mean, eat your vegetables".

Lol, that's a great way of putting it.:)

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
How's the progress on the fry you separated?

I have some Electric Blue Acara fry growout myself. After the 2nd set of frys. I siphoned them out to a separate tank just to see how that would work out. Well most did not make it. So, I will leave them with momma for about 3-4 weeks before I take them out.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How's the progress on the fry you separated?

I have some Electric Blue Acara fry growout myself. After the 2nd set of frys. I siphoned them out to a separate tank just to see how that would work out. Well most did not make it. So, I will leave them with momma for about 3-4 weeks before I take them out.

After a month the fry got sick, and the rest died if they spawn again I'll leave them with Mom.

Reactions: isde02

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
After a month the fry got sick, and the rest died if they spawn again I'll leave them with Mom.

If I get a spawn again. I'm gonna leave them with in there too. My biggest issue was they share a tank with 7 apollo sharks. The free swimming frys will venture out one by one and the sharks will eat them all. I've probably had about 6 clutches of eggs already in past 2.5 months, and only about 20 juveniles survived from siphoning the fry to separate tanks. Would have much more if the sharks get moved. lol

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If I get a spawn again. I'm gonna leave them with in there too. My biggest issue was they share a tank with 7 apollo sharks. The free swimming frys will venture out one by one and the sharks will eat them all. I've probably had about 6 clutches of eggs already in past 2.5 months, and only about 20 juveniles survived from siphoning the fry to separate tanks. Would have much more if the sharks get moved. lol

Thats ok I always think about them in the wild probably 90% would not make it. Keep updating your progress, so I can gather tips from you. :D

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
This is best IMO, the fry usually start off eating the slime coat off of their parents.... IMO it's kind of like a baby drinking breast milk. And if you offer a little bit of food for them every time you feed the parents they'll ween off of the slime coat and on to other foods.

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Are EB Acras as inbred as EB Jack Dempseys? I guess my question is do you generally just get 2 EB Acaras to breed directly, or is the process similar to EBJDs by using a Blue Gene carrier? Congrats on your success breeding!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store