Esox Lucius- The barracuda of the North

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
North Haledon, New Jersey
I really gotta find this old pic of my late father, he was about 25 and is holding 2 muskies that the tails touch the floor! He was holding them at shoulder height, my guess is around 5 feet for their length.

Spinner baits w/ a worm on the hook ALWAYS work for me, for musky or pike.

Anyone ever catch a tiger pike? Thats the name we use around here for musky x pike hybrids

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah, they put up a good fight for their size. Quite pretty too, I really like the pattern on their sides.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
I've you like tigerpike (pikexmusky) you are going to love my personal record at this moment at 43inches.
Caught using a large lure behind the boat,although this is not a tigerpike but a regular one since musky doesn't exist in here.
Common northern pike with beautiful coloration:
P1020645.JPG
P1020640.JPG

It's strange but almost on every internet forum,the question about type of lures is answered mostly with spinnerbaits.
This may sound strange but I really rarely use them, since there not made for trolling behind the boat.
From the shore they are really effective though!
My absolute favorite Pike-lure is the Spro Screamin devil,the loudest lure on earth followed by the spro triple pikefighter

P1020645.JPG

P1020640.JPG

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
That is a beautiful Pike! All of the Muskie I have caught have been on bright colored 5-6" plugs trolling, it's a great tactic for catching these species.

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
That is a beautiful Pike! All of the Muskie I have caught have been on bright colored 5-6" plugs trolling, it's a great tactic for catching these species.
personally I believe trolling is the best method for catching pike, even though this will often mean not landing big ones.
What type of plugs do you use,got a brand name?

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
personally I believe trolling is the best method for catching pike, even though this will often mean not landing big ones.
What type of plugs do you use,got a brand name?
I use Rapala Super shad Raps and Bagley Monster Shads (no longer in production). I've also had some luck with something called a spoonplug. The 42" was caught while fishing with my dads friend, who makes his own lures and made a 5" plug with the new scatter rap lip on it.

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
Ooh those bagley monster shads look nice! Wish they where available here.
Rapala super shad rap is a great lure but they don't come near the average amount of catches of a spro screamin devil/ pike triple jointed.
Used to be a big fan of the Rapala SSR, because it would result in at least on fish per session, but ever since they invented the screamin devil one fish per session equals a bad day of fishing.:D

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
If your interested in getting a monster shad, look around on eBay, I've seen a lot of people selling them; maybe they'll ship it to you. I'll have to look into those screamin devils, I bet theyd work well here too!

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
I guarantee they will work for you, but they are really hard to get outside of holland.
Friend of mine went to a Swedish lake to go pike fishing, locals said to him,it's no use they are really hard to catch.
He just used screamin devils because of their loudness underwater and caught 9 1m+ pikes.
I will definitely look for monster shads on the ebay from now on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store