General Stingray Price List

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
another problem is ray keepers want rays and most will pay whatever they think is fair no matter how steep.. want 100-300 leos or 50.00 motoros? get everyone to stop buying until prices come down.. it's all about supply and demand but, some importers set the prices at market rates even though they may have got them alot cheaper..
You don't need to stop buying but supply lower priced cb fish. If you have a cb fish instead of pricing it at market rates price it cheaper. Enough of that being done with have similar effect as not buying rays. They will be forced to drop the prices if they want to sell any.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
You don't need to stop buying but supply lower priced cb fish. If you have a cb fish instead of pricing it at market rates price it cheaper. Enough of that being done with have similar effect as not buying rays. They will be forced to drop the prices if they want to sell any.

you have made some good points but if the cost of producing cb pups is more then what you can actually get for it then where is the motivation to produce them for people ???????Like i said the cost to give them a good home to be happy$$$$$$$The weekly feeding cost $100 plus Did i mention electric bills that are pushing into $800 plus monthly???

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
you have made some good points but if the cost of producing cb pups is more then what you can actually get for it then where is the motivation to produce them for people ???????Like i said the cost to give them a good home to be happy$$$$$$$The weekly feeding cost $100 plus Did i mention electric bills that are pushing into $800 plus monthly???
For the average joe pups are something that you can sell as a helper to your costs. If your in it for breeding on large scale. It will make up for it. Provided you have enough females producing pups it will make up for it.

Ex once your set up(startup fees will be paid back in once your established) if you have 6 leo females producing 4-6 pups every 6 months. That is 24-36 pups in 7 months available to be sold. At $500 each that is $12,000-18,000 every 7 months. No matter the pattern if you have black rays at $500 they will sell. Off the numbers giving for food and electric which could be brought down if done right would be roughly $8400-9000 depending on food selections for 7 months(costs can be brought down a lot by having wholesale foods available with a legal operation). Based on $100+ per week in food, you could bring that down a lot depending on filtration, insulation, and food costs/deals. That leaves $3600-9000 in profits for 7months. That is just off of 6 females. And one or 2 breeding males. That is something that you can do in your spare time off fish you want to keep anyway. Now run the numbers for 12 females just double all said or 18 or 36. Once you get to large scale like the latter numbers you start breeding your own food sources. Breed and harvest tilapia, convicts, things like that and your food costs will go down dramatically. Once at that size though it won't be a side gig/spare time. Though the amount of money made of them would make up for it.

You may have to rotate out some breeder females to get the ones you want that produce the pup numbers you want. Also you can tinker with pattern differences to get nice patterns. If you do a good selection in the start you shouldn't have to switch much but you can add more females or males along the way to get even more of a mix.

In the end if everything flows right, there is no need to have cb pups at these over inflated prices. Could you get an extra $1000-5000 in pocket by raising the prices to current market levels. Yes, but why? Most of us have main jobs and this is a side deal. If you can find a part time job that will give you $20,000 a year cash please point me to it.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Now you can add motoros in and other rays aswell for each species of ray available. You'll adjust the prices accordingly. Smaller rays eat less and the maintaining cost would proportionately be reduced thus allowing the profit margin to still be there. Just not as high.

"On paper" is isn't that complex. If your are willing and able to take the risk it is worth it. Just like breeding other fish on large scale. You have to do it right and have enough solid brood stock to do it right. Otherwise it becomes pointless unless you are breeding them for something to do as a part of your hobby. In that case the prices shouldn't be real high because of the fact that you are just doing it for fun and the pup funds would just be put back into your personal collection. I don't see the need for really high priced rays for that.

That is just me though. That is how I run things. Point is you can make enough money off them without making it to high of a price and allowing people with less money to be able to have the nicer rays. So as you make money your helping the hobby grow.

I am just starting out. I will build to the large scale with many different species of rays. Most could be done with a geo thermo heated floor, insulated pull barn with sky lights. All that will cut down monthly costs.

rayluc

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
mfk
some people are able to offering cb motoros in the hundred dollar range. So does it cost more to feed black rays than Motoros?

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
For the average joe pups are something that you can sell as a helper to your costs. If your in it for breeding on large scale. It will make up for it. Provided you have enough females producing pups it will make up for it.

Ex once your set up(startup fees will be paid back in once your established) if you have 6 leo females producing 4-6 pups every 6 months. That is 24-36 pups in 7 months available to be sold. At $500 each that is $12,000-18,000 every 7 months. No matter the pattern if you have black rays at $500 they will sell. Off the numbers giving for food and electric which could be brought down if done right would be roughly $8400-9000 depending on food selections for 7 months(costs can be brought down a lot by having wholesale foods available with a legal operation). Based on $100+ per week in food, you could bring that down a lot depending on filtration, insulation, and food costs/deals. That leaves $3600-9000 in profits for 7months. That is just off of 6 females. And one or 2 breeding males. That is something that you can do in your spare time off fish you want to keep anyway. Now run the numbers for 12 females just double all said or 18 or 36. Once you get to large scale like the latter numbers you start breeding your own food sources. Breed and harvest tilapia, convicts, things like that and your food costs will go down dramatically. Once at that size though it won't be a side gig/spare time. Though the amount of money made of them would make up for it.

You may have to rotate out some breeder females to get the ones you want that produce the pup numbers you want. Also you can tinker with pattern differences to get nice patterns. If you do a good selection in the start you shouldn't have to switch much but you can add more females or males along the way to get even more of a mix.

In the end if everything flows right, there is no need to have cb pups at these over inflated prices. Could you get an extra $1000-5000 in pocket by raising the prices to current market levels. Yes, but why? Most of us have main jobs and this is a side deal. If you can find a part time job that will give you $20,000 a year cash please point me to it.

Now you can add motoros in and other rays aswell for each species of ray available. You'll adjust the prices accordingly. Smaller rays eat less and the maintaining cost would proportionately be reduced thus allowing the profit margin to still be there. Just not as high.

"On paper" is isn't that complex. If your are willing and able to take the risk it is worth it. Just like breeding other fish on large scale. You have to do it right and have enough solid brood stock to do it right. Otherwise it becomes pointless unless you are breeding them for something to do as a part of your hobby. In that case the prices shouldn't be real high because of the fact that you are just doing it for fun and the pup funds would just be put back into your personal collection. I don't see the need for really high priced rays for that.

That is just me though. That is how I run things. Point is you can make enough money off them without making it to high of a price and allowing people with less money to be able to have the nicer rays. So as you make money your helping the hobby grow.

I am just starting out. I will build to the large scale with many different species of rays. Most could be done with a geo thermo heated floor, insulated pull barn with sky lights. All that will cut down monthly costs.

Ans ya That's if everything goes right and believe me that is a big if !!! Remember there is nothing so Ifffffy !!!! as an animal a live animal mind you But hey you say your just starting so i would be interested very Interested what ya have to say next year in fact i look forwards to it!!!!

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
Puppy Mills have cheaper pups also would you buy from 1 of those or a reputable Breeder??? and i am not saying that the person selling is the same as the mill just throwing perspectives out there. I guess it's all about choices and perspective guys but this is interesting to say the least!!!

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us
some people are able to offering cb motoros in the hundred dollar range. So does it cost more to feed black rays than Motoros?
I also have seen and heard alot of different ways people treat animals sometimes guys will only feed a couple times a week and the poor thins are malnourished on the verge of starvation and somehow they still breed life seems to find a way Like i am saying it's definetly a perspective thing and interesting to hear different opinions ....

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Ans ya That's if everything goes right and believe me that is a big if !!! Remember there is nothing so Ifffffy !!!! as an animal a live animal mind you But hey you say your just starting so i would be interested very Interested what ya have to say next year in fact i look forwards to it!!!!
It is going to take me more then a year to get my project going. I will hold true to what I say. It is a big if. Like I was saying you may have to switch out females or males to get then patterns and numbers you want but once that is done it is something that is acomplishable. Also to clarify I am just starting out with my breeding project, not with breeding fish or keeping rays. I am also starting a discus breeding project.

Puppy Mills have cheaper pups also would you buy from 1 of those or a reputable Breeder??? and i am not saying that the person selling is the same as the mill just throwing perspectives out there. I guess it's all about choices and perspective guys but this is interesting to say the least!!!
Why can't they be one and the same? If you start with solid genes and build from them investing your time in quality fish you can have supreme brood stock mass producing quality fish. Yeah you could el cheapo it up and get some half assed rays then mass produce them. Or you could take the time and energy to mass produce quality fish. I could just as easily if not more easy do the same things with dogs. Difference is the vet fees would drive prices up. No vet fees here.
Now here is my male I am starting with. I am looking for quality females with high spots like him to get the best chance at similar results. I am growing them out so it will take more time to get running but I'll save on mature quality breeding rays. The costs are much higher going that route.

Like I said it will take a while but I am building on it. I have a nice larger female pearl x bd I am getting to go with this male also. I am looking for a high spot pure Leo female and I'll be getting a high spot leohen female. All as a part of this plan. Then I can have a good start and have a nice desired group of pups to be available once they start producing.

uploadfromtaptalk1372985238064.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store