Green algae scum

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
CLDarnell;4902227; said:
The funny thing is, I know nothing about saltwater :) I will let the experts help you with that. I would hate to say something that would affect your livestock, etc. that I am not familiar with.

But, algae is algae. I would keep the blinds closed...and even then, you may have to add heavy curtains. You might still get a lot of light through and around the blinds.

Good luck :)
Hmm then I wonder how much of that light from outside is really affecting it when my lights are on. Cause they are friggin bright

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
i typically look for hallowish pieces.

not exactly hollow, but not dense

you really looking for rock surface area........that's where the natural filtration comes into play

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
PEVINE11;4902272; said:
i typically look for hallowish pieces.

not exactly hollow, but not dense

you really looking for rock surface area........that's where the natural filtration comes into play
Ok I'll keep that in mind... I'm prob gonna go in tuesday and get some more anyway

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
The door is definitely the algae booster. If a tank is next to a window, it is most likely going to have a major algae problem. I would try and drain the tank to about 1"-2" of water and pull the rock out. Put the clown in a cup and move the tank, quickly but safely, to a new darker location. Do you have another room for it?
As far as the length of time the light should be on, most people use 7-9 hours, I use 12-14 with no algae problems. Its more about being consistent. What I mean by that is try to turn the lights on and off at the same time everyday. Auto timers are great for this. For your situation with no corals, I would run about a 7 hour cycle. Hell, if you want run a 12 hour cycle just make sure it is not close to that window or else all hell is going to break loose. When I bought my 29 from a lady who didnt want it, she had it set up next to a window and it had a TON of hard algae on the glass.
As far as the live rock goes, you want it to be light and you want it to smell "good" it will smell like saltwater, but it shouldnt stink like garbage. When you buy a piece ask to actually handle it so you can feel it and smell it, ya they might look at you weird but eh so it goes lol.

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
also is the clown still happy?!

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Clown is doing 100% better. He's eating and swimming just fine.
Now once I move my tank will the algae clear up by irself or will I need to clean it out

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Well moving the tank will exponentially slow down the growth of algae. There will still be some algae but it will be minimal at the most. You will probably need to clean the remaining algae off the tank unless you get some snails. A couple turbo snails would work nicely.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Even if you move the tank, you will need to start doing something to remove the nutrients the algae is using to grow. Both the existing algae and future algae are of concern here. I would scrap all the algae off of the inside of the tank if you can so that you can remove it. Otherwise it will die within the tank and the nutrients will stay there for more algae to grow.

I would NOT move the tank personally. The sun itself doesn't cause algae to grow without nutrients. If you have high nutrients the algae is going to grow regardless(though not as fast). It is up to you on whether it is worth the time to move it, but I would look into your filtration/setup, feeding, and stocking to see if you can help the problem there.

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
This is my tank as of this am. I work today till 4 so after that i'll clean off the glass and see about getting some turbo snails.

I used flakes for the first week until I got the clown. Then I started using mysis and there was always alot of left overs, even when i cut it into quarters. I am assuming this is where my excess nutrients came from.

I'm gonna replace the filter cartridges today too...

I have the lights set to run 8-11 (home in the am) and 5-10 (home in evening) now where as before it was 9-9...

DSCN0884.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

DSCN0882.JPG

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
nonstophoops;4903039; said:
Even if you move the tank, you will need to start doing something to remove the nutrients the algae is using to grow. Both the existing algae and future algae are of concern here. I would scrap all the algae off of the inside of the tank if you can so that you can remove it. Otherwise it will die within the tank and the nutrients will stay there for more algae to grow.

I would NOT move the tank personally. The sun itself doesn't cause algae to grow without nutrients. If you have high nutrients the algae is going to grow regardless(though not as fast). It is up to you on whether it is worth the time to move it, but I would look into your filtration/setup, feeding, and stocking to see if you can help the problem there.
I agree to some extent. Yes nutrients are a factor, but the external light source is an issue in-and-of itself. From purely personal experience and vast research, every tank I have ever seen and/or read about that is next to a window experiences major algae problems. The extent of these problems normally lies outside what the average aquarium would experience if said aquarium was positioned in a area restricted to minimal light exposure. Granted most tanks will experience algae problems, especially newly set up tanks, but aquariums that are positioned next to windows tend to have extended algae problems throughout their duration. With this being the case, I highly suggest that that the tank is repositioned.

Even though the tank could be maintained by the window, it is going to be much more or a hassle in comparison to placing it in a dark room. If the tank was a "show tank" and maintained purely for its aesthetic value (ie restaurant, center piece, etc.) than ya I would say go for the best position to offer the most visual appeal. But, in the case of most people the aquarium is set up for their own viewing pleasure with the occasional outsider.

I am assuming that in this particular case, the reason for the tank is not necessarily to appeal to anyone who walks in the door. If, however, that is the case, simply moving it into a darker portion of the room would be enough to lessen the impact caused from outside light sources.

That's my reasoning behind the decision to move the tank. The final decision is 100% yours. If it makes you happy to have it in the location it resides in right now, then leave it :)! I am just trying to offer guidance to establishing a tank that will offer more reward than headaches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store