Information desired regarding - Amphilophus sp. "Yaxha Red Devil"

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Nevermind, I see you are referring to the link that I posted.

No one said that amphilophus don't exist in the lake, the question is who decided that these amphs are labiatus, and why would anyone decide to use the term "red devil" to describe what is quite possibly a new, undescribed species of amphilophus? It just begs for more confusion over midas/labiatus/red devil. Taking an old trade name, and attaching that name to a newly collected amph makes absolutely no sense to me.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe that one of the members on the following site lives/collects cichlids on this lake, it might be a good place to start regarding what amphs are found in Lago Yaxha, and if anyone knows what your fish actually is.

http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Got a reply from Rusty...

"Sorry I am just back from Australia for fish talks.They are just red devils from Yaxha in Nicaragua. Nice fish and some get black blotches and some are just brown and some are really nice red. Also, most of the fry have the large lips as well."

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well that was certainly non informative. Just "red devils"? Are you F'ing kidding me?

What I find really ironic is how badly Chris (Umbeeking) got kicked around for using what many here considered bogus made up names for his umbee variant (that he also collected in the wild), yet it seems no one here from the various clubs etc dare offend Rusty's reputation. Meh .....

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Yaxha is: "It is the large lake in Managua city . I think it use to be called Lake Manaugua."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store