Information desired regarding - Amphilophus sp. "Yaxha Red Devil"

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This is NOT a different variant of anything, as stated from the vendor (who clearly needs to brush up on his geography) these fish are Amphilophus labiatus, which are only endemic to the great lakes, Lake Managua and Lake Nicaragua. These fish were (maybe?) collected in Lake Managua, but certainly NOT Lake Yaxha! Either way all of the A. labiatus within the great lakes in Nicaragua have been deemed to be the same species. There is no ongoing debate about this species, unlike what we are seeing within the rest of the Midas complex.

The only debate here is how Rusty got this all so wrong ..........

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Are you actually reading what I've been typing?

The auction that I linked to back in post #13 was over 6 months ago, where the vendor that donated the fish (Rusty Wessel) listed these fish as as Amphilophus Labiatus 'Laguna Yaxha'.

This was waaaay before Wet Spot had anything to do with selling them.

OK?

Laguna Yaxha is in GUATEMALA, where A. labiatus DO NOT EXIST.

Rusty is now apparently saying (to you) that these "red devils" came from Lake Managua, which (BIG SURPRISE!) is located in Nicaragua, where (another BIG surprise) these fish do in fact exist. A. labiatus and A. citrinellus have been collected in both of the great lakes in Nicaragua for a very long time, and exported to North America since the late 1960's or early 1970's. (via George Barlow) More recently by Jeff Rapps (for the past decade or more).

Rusty says:

"It is the large lake in Managua city . I think it use to be called Lake Managua."
It's still called Lake Managua! It appears to also be referred to by locals as Lago Xolotlán. Where the F 'Laguna Yaxha' came into this is anyones guess, but clearly this is the name that Rusty Wessel attached to these fish, the WHY part of that can only be answered by Rusty Wessel.

Instead of using your gut, use your brains. It's all there in black & white.

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Are you actually reading what I've been typing?

Instead of using your gut, use your brains. It's all there in black & white.
I don't think it's a matter of brains. I just did not read all of the link you a provided.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
This is NOT a different variant of anything, as stated from the vendor (who clearly needs to brush up on his geography) these fish are Amphilophus labiatus, which are only endemic to the great lakes, Lake Managua and Lake Nicaragua. These fish were (maybe?) collected in Lake Managua, but certainly NOT Lake Yaxha! Either way all of the A. labiatus within the great lakes in Nicaragua have been deemed to be the same species. There is no ongoing debate about this species, unlike what we are seeing within the rest of the Midas complex.

The only debate here is how Rusty got this all so wrong ..........
This could be true. But I don't think I have ever heard anyone say Rusty is wrong lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
In all fairness to Rusty Wessel this could all be nothing more than a simple mistake based on a lack of correct geography. That, or maybe, just maybe, as Madness implied this fantasy name was made up to make these fish appear "new" and more desirable to unsuspecting hobbyists. Of course this can only be answered by Rusty Wessel.

The whole thing seems rather très bizarre to me. If these fish came from Lake Managua as Rusty apparently stated to CrimsonFrog, then the obvious thing to do would be to apply the current scientific name to these fish, which is Amphilophus labiatus. If he wanted to be really accurate, and add the collection location for the true purists, he could have attached "Lago Managua" to the name, such as Amphilophus labiatus "Lago Managua". Something that Jeff Rapps has been doing for years.

Again, where, how, or why "Laguna Yaxha" came into this is anyones guess, but clearly this is the name that Rusty Wessel attached to these fish, the why part of that can only be answered by Rusty Wessel. Either way, hopefully those that have purchased these fish will contact Rusty and inform him that there is no such thing as Amphilophus Labiatus 'Laguna Yaxha', and that Lake Managua is the Central American lake that borders Managua city, Nicaragua, where he now states these fish were collected.

If it was an honest mistake then it shouldn't take a whole lot of effort on his part to set the record straight. I guess time will tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store