Need advice for aquarium glass and thickness

Vikkram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Coimbatore, India
Dear Monsterfishkeepers,

I am planning to build a concrete aquarium of 8 feet length, 2 feet wide, 4 feet height, around 400 gallon with front and one side viewing panel. Please suggest what material should i use for viewing panel. Normal glass or acrylic? What should be the thickness. Kindly suggest.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Why cement? At only 2 feet front to back an all acrylic tank is probably the way to go. The 4 feet of height is whats going to make this build very expensive. 8×2×2 you could use 3/4" acrylic and have a very strong tank. 8×2×4 and your looking at 1.5" to be safe. Why so tall and narrow? A 2 feet front to back tank will limit your stocking options. I'd suggest going at least 3 feet. 4 would be even better.

Reactions: tcav88

Vikkram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Coimbatore, India
Why cement? At only 2 feet front to back an all acrylic tank is probably the way to go. The 4 feet of height is whats going to make this build very expensive. 8×2×2 you could use 3/4" acrylic and have a very strong tank. 8×2×4 and your looking at 1.5" to be safe. Why so tall and narrow? A 2 feet front to back tank will limit your stocking options. I'd suggest going at least 3 feet. 4 would be even better.

Vikkram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Coimbatore, India
Thank you Bigfishnut,

I will try thinking of 3 feet front to back. I recently saw a video in YouTube on Eli's aquarium (a guy from Israel I guess). Which is 30,000 litre reef aquarium. I liked it so much. So thought of making a miniature freshwater aquarium same like that one for 2000 litre :) Kindly check the video if u get time. Also if I build in concrete, it will reduce expense. So thought of it.

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Go to youtube and search diy plywood aquarium...

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Cement is not a cheaper option. Plywood is arguably the cheapest option...although my plywood build was anything but cheap! Regular plate glass is a relatively cheap option. The taller you make the tank the thicker the materials you will have to use. Also keep in mind that anything over 24" is very difficult to reach the bottom for cleaning, and also difficult to light properly. (especially for coral) All these things need to be factored in to your planning and budget. I've found that the cost of a build goes up exponentially the taller you make your aquarium. 24 to 30 inches is really a suitable height for most anything you might plan to keep. Hope this helps. And if you decide you might go with a plywood build, feel free to message me or start a thread in 'DIY projects and ideas' forum. And I can provide you with detailed information.

Vikkram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Coimbatore, India
Dear Bigfishnut,

Thanks for your advice. Actually my dad is working in a senior officer post in a plywood manufacturing company. I can really get good quality plywood for cheap price. But I fear whether I could make a leak proof tank with plywood. Can you kindly suggest me with detailed information please. Like
1. what quality plywood should I use
2. Thickness of plywood, etc.

Swoll929

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017

Watch this series. All the info you need is in this series. There is also a lot of other good diy aquarium info on his channel and a book he sells that is good too.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
It will depend on your dimensions for overall thickness...mainly the height. For my 8×4×2 I used 3/4" hardwood plywood. I used furniture grade oak. I also glued and screwed 2" × 3/4" ribbing to the back spaced about 2" apart to keep the 8 foot span from bowing. It is extremely important to construct a very rigid structure. Any flex or bowing will lead to problems. I'll post a link to my build thread. It's a brief summary, but you'll be able to get an idea of how one goes together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store