Need advice for aquarium glass and thickness

Vikkram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Coimbatore, India
I think that is a wise decision. I'm sure 1/2" would hold water, but the extra security of 3/4" is nice in case of an accidental bump or any settling or uneveness in the stand. Will be a nice tank for sure!
Hi Bigfishnut, I tried searching everywhere in my city to get 19mm thick glass. But here 12mm is the last thickness available. If I need 19mm, it must be transported from another city 400km far. So it will take huge transportation cost. So my bad. I have decided to go with 12mm with good bracing. For safety reasons, I have reduced the height to 2 feet height (24 inch from 30 inch) and width to 20 inch (from 24 inch since my local tank builder said, if u increase width, glass might not bear it :( Length remains same 8 feet (96 inch). Today I am building stand :)

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Hi Bigfishnut, I tried searching everywhere in my city to get 19mm thick glass. But here 12mm is the last thickness available. If I need 19mm, it must be transported from another city 400km far. So it will take huge transportation cost. So my bad. I have decided to go with 12mm with good bracing. For safety reasons, I have reduced the height to 2 feet height (24 inch from 30 inch) and width to 20 inch (from 24 inch since my local tank builder said, if u increase width, glass might not bear it :( Length remains same 8 feet (96 inch). Today I am building stand :)
FYI water pressure is the same no matter the width. Only highth changes pressure.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
This is true...to a point. Height is the important factor. Width has much less impact on the calculations and with proper bracing you can basically make an aquarium as long as you want without changing the thickness. My personal rule is 1/2" glass should only be used on aquariums 24" or shorter.

Reactions: hart24601

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
My tank is 28" tall. I have eurobrace on top and bottom perimeter of the tank. I also have 3 additional 4" wide cross braces.

My builder advised that is more than enough safety factor. Just sharing OP, as you may want to ask your builder for more details.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've been following this thread. I saw a lot of good advice and good choices. Now that's a nice looking tank and stand. Certainly makes the room shine.

Reactions: Vikkram
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store