New Mekon NTT datnoids emerging

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I picked up a dozen little 1" ers a while back that looked a lot like this, they were WC collect in India "bengal" and labeled, Sold as datnioides polota "bengal". When I first got them i thought they looked like NTT, but the bar's are too clean and the body color is too yellow for a normal polta, but the bar's are too wide and complete to be a NTT.

After comparing them for a long time to the 2 species I also wondered if they are a species/subspecies that has yet to have been identified. They are about 3" now they thinned themselves down to a group of 3 who seem to have stopped bickering and get along. I'll tr to snap some pic's, they are not from mekon, I belive they are out of india cme in with a shipment of subtropical snakeheads and other indian WC's but look Very much like the ones you have . It's no freak either the seller had Dozens of them all identical.

Lovethemfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2012
Maryland
View attachment 933048View attachment 933049

I wouldn't say oddball ntt more of collection point.
Ntt from upper Thailand while the ones listed arowana Mekong are from lower parts of the Mekong.

Can anyone tell the difference between the 2 picture I posted up? Or is one of them just an oddball?

Ill try to bring in a slightly bigger one to compare.
:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Tkdee is right .. an oddball tiger of any type is one with say a half bar.. fork bar . Split bar etc.. or like the ntt he just posted....
There was a post on arrofantics not too long ago.. : Thick bar ntt... this is just silly imo....
just as some indos have thinner or thicker bars... if they have still have 4 or 3 bars.. I dont consider them oddball.

I think they were.coined thick bar ntt in order to sell for more $$$ or just yo help sell them quicker.. as people think there are getting something special.

I think they are just as good looking as the ntt we have seen for many years.
And yes. Also most look like they have thick bar when small but once big say past 8-10 inch youll hardly ever see one that size or bigger with the super thick bars.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London

My old 14 inch ntt that died a while ago. Look how thin the bars are.
When the last owner had it ... and much smaller it had very thick bars.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My apologies for the derail but that is one fine looking NGT....got any more shots of it?

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
My apologies for the derail but that is one fine looking NGT....got any more shots of it?
k...
Have a look on arrofanatics .. cant recall if there were more pics...
If I saw that in lfs... id snap it up right away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store