New Tropical Pond

treldib

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Suggestion: How about a small school of Pictus Catfish, Pimelodus pictus? They only get about 5" long but will help control the amount of cichlid fry (while not touching the adult & sub-adult cichlids) as well as just being overall cool looking (and pretty damn cute) scavengers and help clean up the pond bottom a little bit. Their antics are already fun to watch in a tank, it would be insane to see a few of these little "cats on speed" spazzing around the bottom of that huge pool/pond :D

treldib

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Any updates?

tuggerd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
Costa Rica
With regards to the plants that I have planted around the pool. I started out with quick a few on the list of photos that were recently shown. For some reason or another alot of them died. I live in a tropical climate but in Santa Ana in the summer time it might not rain for 3 months straight. In January, February, March, the hot summer winds really dry things out. So even if I could water every day the leaves get pretty ripped up. The Furrier heliconia's didn't seem to do too well. I brought most of these heliconia's from Limon, on the caribbean side of the country. It's always humid there.
Tomorrow I'm going to take the underwater light out because I think that I might have some leakage there. I'm being patient with the fish until I get this thing leak free.

tuggerd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
Costa Rica
Here is a look at the heliconia's and what a strong dry wind does to them, even with me watering three times a week. See how dry the stocks look. My fern/orchid tree rotted from the bottom and fell down with the wind. Here is my fish tank where Im holding some cool african cichlids to put in the pool when it's ready. I needed some more height in my tank with the coral so I siliconed some natural coral that I found on the beach to a store bought piece. Then on top of the silicon I sprinkled coral dust so its hard to see where one piece starts and the other piece ends.

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1216.JPG

mrunlucky07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
VB
Sorry to hear about the troubles with the plants, but thanks for keeping the updates coming. The opportunity to keep africans in a natural setting is awesome. I have strayed away from the pond site due to a reef addiction, but still enjoy my africans more than anything else.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Again WOW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store