Newb question

fishwhisperer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2010
Johnson City TN
short snout, and chubby, deff a gator, lol wouldnt recomend it for a newb but itll b a fun experience

never heard of them shedding but if there slime coat is comming off then u need to do some water changes

Caseyslow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2011
Texas
short snout, and chubby, deff a gator, lol wouldnt recomend it for a newb but itll b a fun experience

never heard of them shedding but if there slime coat is comming off then u need to do some water changes
Can I ask why you wouldnt recomend it for a newb?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Can I ask why you wouldnt recomend it for a newb?
Because it's going to get to be at least 3' long and is going to be super aggressive towards any other fishes kept with it.

Also, I wouldn't worry about it hitting the 10' length that people unfamiliar with these gars always seem to mention; that length is from a wild gar and even that is not considered to be the norm for wild alligator gars. These gars rarely reach terribly large sizes in captivity due to a number of reasons, so as long as you can properly house a 3-4' fish, then I'd say that you should be fine.

Caseyslow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2011
Texas
I knew from the get go that it would grow pretty good in size as long as everything is okay. Im not too worried about the aggressive part i used to have 8 red bellies and 2 gold pihrana and they ate everything so im used to that. When the time is right i will be moving it into my 72"x14"x16" tank and i have been looking for something bigger after it outgrows that one.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I knew from the get go that it would grow pretty good in size as long as everything is okay. Im not too worried about the aggressive part i used to have 8 red bellies and 2 gold pihrana and they ate everything so im used to that. When the time is right i will be moving it into my 72"x14"x16" tank and i have been looking for something bigger after it outgrows that one.
piranha? so you lived in some other states before move in to TX?
I would say that 72'' tank cannot hold the gar for even 1 year! you can get a water trough or build a pond to keep it!

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Because it's going to get to be at least 3' long and is going to be super aggressive towards any other fishes kept with it.

Also, I wouldn't worry about it hitting the 10' length that people unfamiliar with these gars always seem to mention; that length is from a wild gar and even that is not considered to be the norm for wild alligator gars. These gars rarely reach terribly large sizes in captivity due to a number of reasons, so as long as you can properly house a 3-4' fish, then I'd say that you should be fine.
I think they might get up to 10' long if they live in a big enough tank/pond for like 100 years! there is some gars in Texas fresh water fisheries center that they keep for a really long time (I've heard they are there for like more than 30 years) some of them weight more than 200 lbs and about 7 feet long. They also have a long nose gar that almost 7 feet long!

Caseyslow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2011
Texas
piranha? so you lived in some other states before move in to TX?
I would say that 72'' tank cannot hold the gar for even 1 year! you can get a water trough or build a pond to keep it!
Nope born and raised in TX.
I knew the 72" would only hold so long hence why I am already looking for something bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store